1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Iowa pets and seascapes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by klmule, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Thread was lock by: Bud
Reason: Thread has ran its course
Lock date: 16:43 07-02-2016
  1. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I may be really behind the times here, but oh well. I haven't been here for roughly 2yrs and have to say from the first time I was here to now I feel like it has been really cleaned up. I feel like the tanks are much clearer and more variety as well. Just thought I would drop a quick review on y'all.

2. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    If you like flat worms ya there doing great even the new frag systems have them it's sad I used to spend 10 or more hours in there a week and now it's not worth my gas it's very depressing because I've been friends with Scott and tim going on 20 years

3. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Same here Dan i used to go there all the time. I haven't stepped foot in there for a year now

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    You can dip corals and QT fish and corals. I know that everyone is just saying what is on their mind but this kind of stuff is the reason why Iowa Pet Foods & Aquatics will never sponsor the club again. Just saying.

5. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    A few of us have been talking with them on and off and trying to see what can be done to smooth out relations and look at the possibility of sponsorship again sometime soon. If they see this thread, which I'm sure they will, there goes all that effort. I thought @klmule@klmule started off this thread pretty well, just saying that the store looked nice. They've been through a lot of %#$@ in the last few years esp with the big tank and the food poisoning issue (probably 2x).

I don't mean to tell everyone that you should hold back negative comments. But there is certainly a way to put things that doesn't come off so bad.

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Do we want a sponsor with so many issues like that though? They could also take steps like ACC did and qt.

But the reason your stating isnt the sole reason they dont its also because we are competition to them on coral sales

7. daalbers

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    Yes but we have offered to help clean there **** up and as a club have tried and tried to use them for meeting.witch would bring people in and by stuff and they don't want to. so why should we go out of are way to buy stuff that might die or kill are stuff that we have to spend weeks fixing and hoping that after weeks of cleaning and spending are money on isn't dead So that we can then put in are display tanks too in joy

8. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    That might also be the reason why we don't have **** for local stores anymore.

9. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You guys can say all this cause you have options for lfs. Here in Cedar Rapids we have pets Playhouse and if you know anything about them you would realize that Iowa pets and seascapes is far and away better. It's like comparing a pinto station wagon to a Bentley. But do I go there if I need something quick? You bet your *** I do cause if you needed something in a pinch and they weren't any stores at all you would have to rely on locals on the forums to help out and u don't like relying on other people. So be careful to be so critical.

10. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    We dont have options unless you count petco....
    --- Auto-Merged, Jan 29, 2016, Original Post: Jan 29, 2016 ---
    Or Adams where prices are marked up 300%

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Cedar Rapids isn't far from Iowa city theres Several stores there if I remember correctly

12. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I don't live in CR. It's just the closest option I have. Iowa city is farther yet for me. Des Moines isn't mush farther then Iowa city for me. Craig was my closest option for me and we saw how that ended and I supported him as much as I could.

13. tangman

tangman

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    This is not Facebook we need to work together for the hobby

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Preach

15. tangman

tangman

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I am suprised Des Moines doesn't have more options though

16. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Feedback is feedback some will be good some will be bad. No matter what its good for all to know what they may or may not be getting into

17. daalbers

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    Witch is why I posted what I did when I read that first post if i drove 2 hours and saw the flat worms in all there coral tanks I would be pissed and by the way I drive an hour to go to Iowa pet foods! Well I used to. I've spent thousands of dollars in there not hundreds, thousands it could be one of the best stores in the Midwest again but I don't beleave they care anymore. I wish they did because I don't buy fish off Internet so that leaves me with no options I just hope Craig has it in him to open another store. It's a **** load of work with little reward. I didn't get up there a lot but when I did I spent a lot of money

18. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    ^^ this
    While I agree with this, when it comes to negative feedback, all I'm saying is let's be less harsh while still expressing our opinions/experiences. Saying things like "sad" "depressing" "not worth my gas" are especially harsh in my opinion. You could say exactly what you want to say without going there, but saying things like that just helps to slam the door on any future relationship with a store that, in my opinion, still has potential.

Believe me, they read these comments. Keep that in mind and if you have criticism, be constructive.

19. daalbers

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    Your right the place sucks

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  20. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I look at it this way. I have been to that store a grand total of 2 times. So in those 2 times for me to notice how much difference they have made in 2yrs you have to hope that they are close to getting back on track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.