1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Notice Inactive Account Purge on or about September 9th 2016

Discussion in 'Website Items, Issues & Feedback' started by Bud, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    If you have logged into your account after April 24, 2015 (the day before the forum software conversion) then this probably doesn't apply to you, but go ahead and read it anyways!

There are hundreds of user account on here that have not been accessed since prior the site conversion on 4/24/15. At that point in time, all passwords were wiped out and everyone had to reset theirs in order to access their account.

This password-wipe presented a few problems:

1) people might know their old username but might not have access to the email account or might have abandoned it, so they don't get the reset email

2) depending on the email provider, the reset email might be viewed as junk or spam, and they might never get it (hotmail and yahoo suck because of this)

3) users might have just created another account and abandoned the old one

4) users might not be active in the hobby anymore, and instead of contacting us to remedy the situation, people might mark messages as junk or spam - which ruins it for everyone on that service, because that affects IP reputation if it happens enough

People who fall into #1 or #2 might not know what to do, so they to #3. If this is you, please contact me (click the Contact button under my avatar) and let me know so I can find your old account and consolidate it into your new one (which transfers all your posts and PMs into your current account)

The system recognized bounced emails and automatically deactivates those accounts, so that's not a problem. The problem is, we don't want to be sending any emails or any kind to any inactive accounts anymore.

So, on or about 9/9/16, any accounts that have not been accessed since the conversion will be deactivated. The account will still remain (as will all public content and PMs) and can be re-activated in the future.

Deactivated accounts with no public content and no PMs other than system announcements may be permanently deleted at some point in the future. Eventually, all deactivated accounts without public content may be permanently deleted.

If you are reading this and are having problem accessing your account, email me at info@greateriowareefsociety.org. You will receive an immediate auto-response message. If you do not get that message (within 1 minute, usually within a few seconds) then your email service is blocking or junking GIRS messages; check junk/spam folders, and if you still don't find it, click here and create a thread in the Guest Area for assistance (the Guest Area is viewable only if you are not logged in).

I have been sending a series of emails to those with inactive accounts in order to notify them of this pending Account Purge, and I'm going to post it up on Facebook also. This will be the last and final round of notifications about old accounts; after this, any site notices and announcements will cease. Notices will be activated that will show up if you happen to gain access to a deactivated account after 9/9/16 so that it can be fully restored.

It's clean up time!

Thanks!
    Bud

2. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Work in IT myself and Bud is correct, the users list gets overpopulated after time. We had a big increase in users around MACNA but that is over and done. Suspect that many who joined up then have forgotten we exist.

Bud is correct again - it is time to clean up.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Bumping this. If you are coming here per the recent notices/email about account deactivation, this pertains to you.

Go here...

Tip - Accessing your GIRS account

...follow the step-by-step directions, and contact me if you have any problems.

My phone number is in several of the emails.

If you have replied to any of the mass e-mails, I can 100% guarantee you that I have responded at least 3 times from 2 different email accounts (the GIRS info one, and my personal one) so if you think you were left hanging, check your junk mail folders please!