1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

IMPORTANT Venue change for Spring Fest this weekend

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xroads, Apr 2, 2013.

1. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Important venue change for Spring Fest

Someone who is not a supporter of GIRS or our mission has decided to sabotage Spring Fest this year.

The school received an anonymous letter complaining about GIRS having Spring Fest at Central Campus. Unfortunately the school was put in a difficult position and had to cancel its involvement with Spring Fest.

This is no way a reflection of the school or the Aquarium Sciences program. We are disappointed that the school and its students will not be able to show off its hard work this weekend.

We now need your support more then ever. Please show your support of our club and hobby by spreading the word about the venue change. We also need as many people to attend this event and make it a success, even in the face of adversity.

The new venue will be at the Iowa State Fair Grounds in Des Moines. It will be held in the new Paul Knapp Animal Learning Center near gate 15. Ironic that a conference on aquarium keeping will be now held in a building dedicated to animal learning, the main mission of GIRS.

Sincerely

The Greater Iowa Reef Society

View Fairgrounds in a larger map

2. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Dang... I was really looking forward to seeing the marine bio program.

3. PotRoast

PotRoast Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    They responded like this to an ANONYMOUS letter?

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Yes

But remember, in this day and age, schools cannot take any chances.

5. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

So basically someone with a vendetta against GIRS, Central Campus or both decided they were going to try and undermine the event. Ultimately, this is a minor inconvenience for the GIRS board and deprives members and other attendees from getting to see what's going on at Central Campus.

The real losers here are the kids at Central Campus. As I understand it they had been working really hard to get their tanks ready for the show and were super excited about it. Now all that hard work was for not because of some petty individual.

What a grand display of douchebaggery.

I KNOW that the person who did this will be reading this thread all proud of themselves. Nice job screwing some kids over.

6. ctrenary

ctrenary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is there going to be an early setup on Friday still?

7. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0

Yes. More details of everything will be coming, but almost everything else will be the same.

8. ctrenary

ctrenary Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ok. Thanks for the quick reply.

9. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    That really sucks for the marine bio program and the kids. Your totally right JB.

10. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sometimes its hard not to hate people. Lets hope karma does its part on this one. On a lighter note I'm always happy when "douchebaggery" is used and seeing it, instead of hearing it, makes it that much better.

11. gearhead

gearhead Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just remember people talk and at some point the person who did this will have some adoring fans for sure, wanting to meet him or her in person

12. cman5

cman5

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We shall have a successful event nonetheless!!!!!!!!!

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Just remember, we really dont know who did it, and probably never will.

It could be an individual, a group, or even a company that competes with our vendors.

Main thing is to focus on making this a great event, and move forward.

14. Gordo

Dallas Center
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is is possible to get a map up of the fair grounds with the new locatoin marked?

15. malibu74

malibu74 Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I believe this action only really hurt central campus and not GIRS at all. I have been to central a couple times and it is the donations that really help make the place as nice as it is. So every event that is now not able to be held there is just less money or other items that central is able to use. Just makes me sad that people are so petty with their own opinions that they don't realize who they actually hurt.

16. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    This is still a fantastic opportunity for us to get together and do exactly what we love! TALK ABOUT CORAL!!!!

So excited to see all of you here in Des Moines!!!

17. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Yes - its going to be a great event. Everyone please help in getting the word out to everyone on the change in venue. We're doing mass emails and postings, but someone is sure to be missed. Additionally we will have a notice at Central Campus about the change in location.

Help us make this a super succesful event in spite of the challenges of this week!

I'm really sorry for all the students in the Marine Biology dept that have worked so hard to showcase their department and now won't have the opportunity.

18. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Kudos to the board for making this happen in spite of the set back. You folk deserve a well earned applause.

19. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to everybody for your support and kind words in advance.

Note that the new map, venue address, and details are listed on the Fest Page which can be found in the upper right hand tool bar. Linked to on the home page announcement, and through our facebook page. Fliers are going out to your local LFS to make note of these details.

That page can also be seen by using www.girsfests.com

20. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Text everyone in my Phone that I know on Girs!