1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

If you broadcast feed, how often do you feed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IowaDiver, Mar 29, 2018.

How often do you broadcast feed corals?

1. Once or twice a week

100.0%
  2. Three to four times a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Five or more times a week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I picked up two gorgonians, a dendro, and a bunch of acans at the swap for my little 20 gal cube. I've been broadcast feeding every day since sunday a mixture of frozen mysis plus reefroids/reef chili. I'm pretty sure at my rate of feeding I will have to do 3 water changes a week to keep my tank algae and nitrate free and keep my current sps thriving.

I'm curious how often other people broadcast feed. I'm especially interested in how often people feed their NPS.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. sjones

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I have gone to spot feeding with a turkey baster. Once a week if I can remember, come to think of it it's been a while.

3. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Like most people I tend to spot feed more with a new coral and then I get lazy. I mainly feed frozen. There are a lot of nutrients in the water I thaw my food in so when I dump it all in I feel I have a food source for all of my coral.

4. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    I like to feed my tank, but have found that broadcast feeding almost always ends up raising nutrient levels higher than is ideal.

I spot feed, lightly, about once a week

5. IowaDiver Well-Known ReefKeeper

West Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, there's a lot of fertilizer in my tank right now. I'm just trying to keep my dendro and gorgs I got from the show alive. I'm not sure how often I have to feed these things yet. I'm doing a cube of mysis plus reef roids right now. Before I got the NPS, I only did half a cube which seemed to be enough for my 3 fish, and shrimp in my 20 gal.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018