1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Ich AND fin rot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey.nolta, Jan 3, 2019.

1. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Going through a huge move and currently have fish in a holding tank until the tank is set back up or sold. Stress caused an ich outbreak and now I see the start of some sort of bacterial infection (I think fin rot). Everything's going south fast.

Can I treat both at the same time? If not which first? Obviously ich treatment will take much longer. What's the best course of action? I have copper power that was just delivered and api fin and body cure.
    Help :(

Sent from my iPhone via App

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    If you are comfortable keeping copper right on target that should be effective (very narrow range between therapeutic levels and toxic levels). My personal preference for ick has always been hyposalinity though. A quick drop to 12 ppt shouldn't harm anything (just be very careful on the way back up to only go 1-2 ppt per day). Antibiotics should clear up fin rot.

3. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    If it is in one it prob in with the coral too if you have that. Would research reef medic by polyp lab on you tube you might be surprise with the out come, personally I used it 2-3 years ago in a 180 gal reef tank no harm to any of the coral and as of date no ick issue

4. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    If it's in your display with corals/inverts you can let the tank run fishless for 72 days (might be 76, can't remember for sure). That will guarantee ich is eliminated... there are no meds that have reliably demonstrated ich elimination in a reef.

However, if you aren't intending on quarantining everything going forward I wouldn't bother trying to be ich free. It will inevitably make it into your system and you're just trying to manage it. I quarantine everything and it still somehow got into my display. I haven't seen anything pop up for months but I have no doubt it still exists in my display.

5. corey.nolta

Waterloo
    Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Fish are in in a hospital tank running copper power. Lost 3 fish so far. Here's hoping no more die.

The tank was completely tore down and dismantled for the move. I've been on the fence if I'm setting it back up or selling it. So I don't have any coral or live rock to worry about killing off or letting the tank sit fallow. Which I guess is a positive if I do decide to set the tank back up.