1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

I am Baaaacckkk and already need a favor...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travis, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Travis

Travis Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am looking to jump back into the hobby and club again, but before I do I want to figure out the best way to plumb my basement for a 100 gallon stock tank.  Are stock tanks even still used?  If so, what have you all done to yours that you love and what would you never do again?  I am hoping to get this right somewhere near the first time.  I plan to use spa flex, if I can find it, and already have the stock tank and return pump.  For right now plumbing will be light with a drain from the tank and a return back to the tank.  The return may be split to feed a second tank at a later date.  No big skimmer to feed at this time.  Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.  Travis (aka Atticus)

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Boy it didnt take much to push you over the edge did it.

Stock tanks are great, but the factory bulkheads suck so plan on changing it first so it doesnt leak after a month.

I didnt have luck with spa flex the one time I tried it, might of been just me, but the glue didnt want to hold it well.

3. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The spa flex uses a special glue, not the same as regular pvc. I think its in the light blue can. The primer is the same as regular pvc but the glue is diff.
    Yes stock tanks are great but I would build a false floor with egg create & pvc and run your input line under everything so that no detris can settle on the bottom.

Hope this helps!

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I wondered, the geniuses at menards guaranteed me it was the same glue.

5. B-Rad

B-Rad Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Its made buy the same company but it is diff.

6. JohnL

JohnL Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was able to place my aquarium by the cold air return duct so instead of drilling holes in the floor, I removed the vent cover and then went into the basement and peeled back a small section of the ductwork and ran 2X 1" spa flex down the opening. No holes in the floor or walls and when it comes time to take it down I'll just have a 5 minute repair job to put things back the way they had been.
    In the basement I built a double stand that holds a 80g sump above and 125g gallon below. The water run into the 80 then gravity feeds to the 125 below. I though about using a stock tank but I already had the 125 and I picked up the 80 cheap. I don't have my frag racks built yet but the was one of the reasons I went with glass, plus It just seems more compact than stock tanks.

7. fmsill Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Falls
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Craig is right make sure you replace the bulkhead. I use a stock tank and wouldn't do it any other way. As far as the flex hose you can find it on line alot cheaper than locally. It is a different glue than normal pvc cement. If you would rather get it locally go to a hot tub store they should have it.