1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HW Marinemix Reefer salt mix & potassium levels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beckerj3, Mar 6, 2017.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Anybody in the club use HW Marinemix Reefer salt mix?????? Have you tested your potassium levels with this mix??? I just made the switch from Reef crystals to HW Marinemix Reefer salt - and using the Salifert test kit, I'm getting a reading of only 200 ppm (normal sea level is 390-410). I would like to test some additional samples - to confirm that it is a problem with my particular box. So, if you are using the mix, please let me know.

Here's complete details on what I have tested.

I made a switch at the beginning of the year from Reef Crystals to HW Marinemix Reefer Salt. Last week I tested my potassium levels and found they had dropped significantly from my target of 400 to anywhere from 290 to 350 in my 3 tanks. I then performed the test on my makeup water and got a reading of only 200.

Thinking this must be a mistake I tested the makeup water for the other major components and got salinity (1.026), calcium (415-425), and alk (don't remember for sure but in range of 8.5-9.5).

I use the Salifert test kit for potassium. Since it was almost empty, I ordered a new test kit and tested again and got the same results. I even had a bag of unused Reef Crystals, and tested it and got a result of 360.

As the HW Marinemix Reefer Salt is in one large bag (160 g makeup), I opened my second box of it and mixed it thoroughly (divided it between 3 buckets, mixed each, then recombined- and tested again - same results - @200.

My calibration fluid for my refractometer is old. It could be off a bit, but not that much. But, I've ordered a new bottle of that.

I contacted BRS (my source for the salt mix), but they said they weren't set-up to perform a test (They were happy to refund my money though for the salt mix).

I contacted the manufacturer and got a nice response that confirmed that the salt should have 400 ppm potassium. They thought it was strange that calcium and alk would be good, but potassium only half. They suggested that I get some calibration fluid - but I don't know where to obtain that.

So - I'm curious if anyone out there uses the HW Marinemix - and have you tested your makeup water for potassium? What are your results?

Anyone know where to get calibration fluid for a potassium test kit??

2. cameron lake Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +129 / 3 / -0
    look on the box of what the levels should be also salt mixes are made of elements some are heavier than others shake the salt mix or maybe try a different test kit to find out I searched the web looking for calibration fluid and could not find nothing ro water works good for calibration fliuid for refractometers also good luck keep us updated on what you find out.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Did both of those things already. The manufacturer responded to my email that potassium should be at 400 ppm. And on the 2nd box I opened - I mixed it - what I thought was pretty good.

I also calibrated the refractometer with ro water in the interim. No change.

4. I have been using the salt for quite some time now. I will be home next we and if I remember I will test Potassium.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Great! Where are you located?

6. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I have a box of it too we can test.

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Are you planning to come to spring fest on Saturday? If so, want to bring a sample of your makeup water?

8. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I will be there. I can bring a couple cups of salt, I don't really have anything running right now.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    That would be great. I'd really appreciate it!

10. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks to @hart@hart for bringing me a sample of his salt. I performed a test using his sample and came up with a potassium result of 400.

After further communications with HW, they identified a problem with their automated system which adds the potassium element to their salt mix - and they are fixing the problem. They are sending me an appropriate amt of potassium to make up for the low readings. Here was their response:

Note from Jeanette: I have removed the additional details. The information was copied directly from my email. I did not realize when I did it, but the email contained a legal disclaimer about not sharing the email. So, I could paraphrase it, but not copy verbatem. By error.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Interesting. Good that they are tying o make up for the lack of potassium by sending you some. I would be more impressed if they sent some new salt mix as well : )

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I imagine its a huge deal. Although it may be true that being low is better than being high - as being 'high' can cause serious problems, I find the low potassium level to be an issue with coloration of SPS. Who knows how many boxes of the 'low' potassium level salt mix they have on the market and have sold - and the number of people that don't know that this is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    My guess is everyone but you doesn't know it's a problem!

14. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    You might want to include Randy's response here as well. It's a big deal he called them out on either lying or being incompetent.

15. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I just now saw Randy's response.

Everyone - here is the response from Randy on my thread on Reef-2-Reef. HW Marinemix Reefer salt mix & potassium levels

OMG, I lost interest in that ridiculous explanation when they uttered this total fabricated nonsense.

I mean, really, fess up to making a mistake. Don't compound it by saying things that are simply untrue.

Potassium has a molecular weight of 39.1 g/mole.
    Potassium chloride has a molecular weight of 74.6 g/mole.

Consequently, KCl is 39.1/74.6 = 52.4% potassium by weight.

Potassium sulfate has a molecular weight of 174.3 g/mole.
    Consequently, K2SO4 is (39.1 + 39.1)/174.3 = 44.9% potassium by weight.

Neither potassium chloride nor potassium sulfate typically form hydrates.

So there is just no sense to claiming that KCl has half the potassium of potassium sulfate, except that it seems to have 2 K ions in the formula.

Unbelievable.

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    It's so unfortunate that many reefers don't realize that when manufacturers make more than one salt mix, they use such automation that errors are bound to happen in "mass" quanities. Salt mixes are one of the foundations in reefkeeping. How many times do hear/see a person telling/asking what salt mix they use(d)?...I have no clue why x,y,z has happened...

Consistency in salt mix(es) used gives your inhabitants that stability, even if you have to dose individual elements. Try to find a salt that has consistency first, then the levels you are looking to keep (alk, ca, etc) your levels at. Quality Assurance is fallible whether it is human or equipment or the product, and sometimes all 3 .

17. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I also use this salt and live in Urbandale if you wanted to test some of it as well

18. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't think it will be necessary. Using hart's sample, I'm able to conclude that my test kit is fine, and that the problem lies with the box of salt mix that I received.

19. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Honestly based off these results and their replies I would find another brand of salt to use unless someone really is in love with it. There are a lot of good salts in this price range and I am very unimpressed with how they handled this.

20. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    That's a tough one. I go back and forth on the issue. I definitely see your point.

Maybe I'm just too much of an optimist. The other way I look at it is that they could have simply replied to me that they had a problem and it has been corrected. But they went a step further to try to give me an explanation on how it happened. They didn't have to do it. I think that part of their explanation was also impacted by a language difference. Now they should have been able to have someone with better English skills write the response, after all they are selling their product internationally. But the language in the response definitely had some translation issues.

Everyone will need to make their own conclusion. In my mind there is not a right or wrong answer whether I will continue to use this salt mix after the current box is exhausted.