1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Holiday Party

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ray/Jen_Reefin, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    So Regions have Holiday party's in there own Regions, That is great!! My question is Would anyone interested in having a All together Holiday party? All people from all regions? Just Members! Get some Raffles going! and some togetherness! Clear the air from all the Hoopla!
    No dates are set no times, Just looking for ideas, dates, and times! Thoughts

2. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Prob need to be some where central to everybody if you want people to come

3. scuba2

Waterloo Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Questions come up
    1 ... members only, this would include spouse
    2 ... location, time frame due to the season
    3 ... time frame as all events this year were 2 hours plus away which brings more questions
    4 ... raffle sound like a good idea, maybe limit 1 set per member, some like the small prizes while others like larger
    5 ... vendors are always good

I think it would be a good deal and possibly a big deal. I have always like these events as lots of knowledge based people show up. This increases ones own knowledge for our hobby.
    Only draw back may be the timeframe for some.

4. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Guessing by the lack of responses on this, and nearing December this is now to late to plan for this year. I'm going to go ahead and get the ball rolling for Des Moines are to have a holiday party. It was a great thought, maybe next year with some planning in advance to December we could make this happen.

5. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Thanks for stepping up in Desmoines for a get together!

6. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    With all the December commitments everyone has I would suggest having in January. I believe DSM region has done this in the past. So not too late for this year in my opinion.

Earlier planning really might not help attendance because (speaking for myself only) it wouldn't trump other commitments (deer season, family Christmas, Work Christmas, wife's birthday, Christmas, New Years eve...) no matter how early it is planned. Whereas, when January rolls around the competing events dwindle drastically.

Just my $.02. Thanks

7. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Well I'm planning a DSM area party. Started a thread in the Des Moines area tiled Help Des Moines / Ames haha

8. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    It's a good read also haha

9. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Just a point of order the yearly budgets dont roll over so if you have your holiday party in Jan it will be next years region budget not this years at least thats the way I understand how it works

10. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Actually (unless there's been a change in the last 2 years), that is the the one thing that the yearly budget has been allowed to roll over for (holiday party) - providing that the holiday party is in January.

11. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Yes in the past as long as the party is in January you can burn up the past years budget. So for instance if Desmoines has $175.00 balance in 2016 they have that to use on the party in January. And it won't go against 2017 budget.

12. yankieman Well-Known ReefKeeper

Monmouth, IL
    Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Ok I stand corrected
    --- Auto-Merged, Nov 29, 2016 ---
    Ok I stand corrected