1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Hitchhiker I.D.s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tje22, Mar 27, 2018.

1. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Got a few tag alongs that ive noticed on my frags from springfest.
    Really only worried about one of them but i might as well see if anyone knows what the others are too.

This guy worries me a bit....baby aiptasia/majano? Im unsure.
    Little round thing right in front.

0327181758.jpg

Some kind of macro algae...

0327181759.jpg

A little coral of some kind? At first i thought they were tube worms but the whole thing sways in the current.

0327181759a.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics...its hard to get up close on such small things with my phone.

Thanks for the help!

2. Seafishes

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not sure of the first 2 but the last one looks like a waving star polyp not for sure though

3. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    1st pic: cannot tell. Maybe a shroom? I's not an acan baby. lol
    2nd pic: algae Will spread so I would remove
    3rd pic: looks like clove polyp or similar

4. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!

Thank you Sponge, I hope it is a baby mushroom. Im not sure though, if you look carefully, it looks like its got some sort of tentacles around it.

5. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    First pic might be a corynactis anemone? They are usually tiny and I believe harmless.

6. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    That would be alright....im going to have to get my camera out and see if I can get a better picture.

Thank you

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    My thought on this one is that it looks like Anthelia or "Waving Hand" Coral. Not a pest, but I consider that a nuisance coral. You can easily remove it by picking at the base and peeling it off, then I would scrub with a stiff brush and rinse it away.

8. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Bud

9. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Your macro algae looks like this to me.

Red Bubble Algae is one of the Botryocladia species, (probably skottsbergeii or pyriformis) . Some of the Botryocladia species, like Botryocladia occidentalis, are desirable. The main difference between an invasive species of Botryocladia and a desirable one is how it grows. Desirable species grow up from branches, and invasive species creep along the rock just leaving hard to remove bubbles. Some are in between both in risk and branch development.

Manual Removal - Don't be clumsy and spread this one. Get em small, cover them with a baster, scrape the baster along the rock, when the bubble comes off release the plunger and suck it up. Discard and repeat. If you have a lot to do, by the time you are done you will be ready to add new mixed water to complete the water change. Be aggressive with your manual removal.

Clean Up Crew- Emerald and Ruby Mithrax Crabs will eat it, as well some Rabbitfish. Juvenile Mithrax are generally best for the task, the smaller the better.

main1.jpg

redbubblealgae_300x225.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! Before I do my weekly water change tommorow, I am going to try to clean all of these up.