1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hi, I'm a fish-only guy new to corals

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Easy E, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Greetings everyone,

I've had marine tanks for over 15 years. Recently I've been doing some research, and believe I'm ready to try adding some of the hardier corals that don't require intense lighting or pristine water conditions. I'm on a tight budget, so I can't afford top shelf equipment or livestock. As a result, I've had to build my tanks up slowly to where they are today.

My main display tank is 55G with a 15G above-tank refugium. It has about a 5" sandbed and is pretty much full to the top with a combination of live and dry rock. A few rocks are completely covered with coraline. The other rocks have very spotty to no coraline, but they do have little, round, pale lavender sponges. All of the rocks are crawling with brittle stars, bristleworms, and gammarus amphipods. The refugium has about a 4" sandbed with sea shells, live rock rubble, and chaeto algae. The only other filtration is an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer. I also have 2 large powerheads in opposite corners for water movement. A Current USA Orbit Marine LED on a programmable ramp timer provides the lighting. For livestock, I have a Flame Hawkfish, an orchid dottyback, an azure damsel, a green clown goby, and about a dozen large nassarius snails. I also have a 10G nano tank with similar conditions, except it has no refugium and T5 lighting. It contains 2 green gudgeons, a yellowhead jawfish, and 3 or 4 nassarius snais. My water parameters are as follows: SG=1.025, Alk=10.5KH, CA=460ppm, Mg=1350ppm, NO3=7.5ppm, PO4=unknown, but was very low last time I checked (my test kit is expired).

The reason I've joined this forum is to get advice on which corals are available in the general area that would be suitable for my tanks and not too expensive. My lighting probably isn't sufficient for SPS or LPS, but I've been told that zoas, mushrooms, or softies might work. Quite frankly, the selection in the fish stores around Cedar Rapids is pretty pathetic. Most specimens are dull, unhealthy, invasive, or really expensive. Paying $50 for shipping from an online store is not a viable option for me either. So I'm hoping there are people here that can help me with my dilemma, and judging from the posts I've read so far, it seems I've come to the right place. If so, I would be happy to become a dues-paying member of the society.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

2. stew Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    Hi Eric, welcome to the reef world.

There are a large number of group members in the CR/IC area and many of them sell frags of their corals. If you go through some of the old threads you can find the kind of corals available get an idea of how nice their corals are. I'll let them continue the discussion about appropriate corals etc. They can also give you invaluable advice about set up and maintenance of reefs tanks.

Good luck!

3. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to GIRS. I am sure you will find many people on here to help you out with advise. If you have an idea of what you want in corals just ask and someone might have what you want.

4. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Welcome!

If you stop in DSM anytime soon, I'll give you some starter frags for free. I have some nuclear green palys that refuse to die, pocillipora, and frogspawn. Very hardy corals.

5. Green star polyps, zooanthids and xenia are a few good softies. The first and third grow and spread quite a bit. There is a store in the Quad cities called Aquatic Environments and another called Coral Haven (which I think might be mostly hard coral). But it might be worth the drive. Don't be afraid to ask for a frag of a frag if you don't want something too big. Open brain coral can be nice too. Good luck and let us know what you find!

6. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    @mattman319@mattman319 has quite the selection of corals in his basement and good guy as well.

7. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the very generous offer. Definitely in my price range.:) I had no plans to be in DSM in the near future, but now I might make up some excuse. Based on your offer of free stuff, I've decided to become a GIRS member.

8. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    :D
    I AM A ONE MAN MARKETING SUPERMACHINE

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    That LED fixture might be able to sustain some SPS if they are placed high in the tank. If you really wanted to explore the possibility of SPS corals there are some affordable lighting options.. the Chinese black boxes have worked well for many club members. If you keep your eyes open you can find people selling used ones as well.

If you're not interested in going the SPS route, I'd suggest taking a look at the variety of corals available on LiveAquaria.com. I know you said you aren't into the idea of shelling out significant cash to have corals shipped, but it would at least give you an idea of what type of corals you may want to keep. They also have a beginners section:
    https://www.liveaquaria.com/categor...s?c=597+2856&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=24

As others mentioned, some of those spread to almost nuisance levels (GSP and Xenia).

If your water parameters are stable at those posted levels you should be fine with the majority of corals out there. Zoas would be a good starter and they generally don't take over tanks. However, they don't grow upward or add any kind of motion to your tank. A colt coral or some type of sinulara would probably do well... grows pretty quickly and adds a nice swaying type of motion in the current.

10. Easy E Novice Reefkeeper Leadership Team GIRS Member

Shellsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Since I'm new at this I'll probably hold off on the SPS for a while. First I would just like to see any coral survive and do well in my tank. I've been looking lots of different places for ideas, including Live Aquaria. I don't care too much about movement, but I would like something colorful that won't take over. I agree that zoas would probably be a good choice.