1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Pics Here is a picture of my tank and a few of the inhabitants in it. : )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffmr4, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Nopox!
    Otherwise looks good :)

2. My nitrates and phosphates read 0. Not sure how the algae keeps holding on. The rock is very porous and has many macroalgae that have sprouted from it. Thanks!

3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Nice pics! Couple questions:

Is the tank sitting on a mini fridge?

How close is that heat register seen in the reflection?

4. Thanks! It is a biocube stand. There is a small platform under the tank and then it extends beyond either side of the stand. The heater/air conditioner is a ways away but it doesn't affect the temperature in my tank which is usually a stable 77-78 degrees.

5. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Algae is probably sucking the phosphates out of the rocks/etc, then the nitrates are being sucked out super fast from the column.
    Calcium carbonate is like GFO but it releases phosphate regularly because it always finds equilibrium with the water column.
    You could use vinegar, it's the cheapest, but I don't find it as effective as methanol+acetic acid+ethanol. (same goes for using only ethanol or aa)
    Though I do have to say, I used to chase numbers, then I just turned the nopox down to 1 drop per hour along with 2 drops per hour of calcium nitrate, and stuff looks great, I have zero nuisance algae, yet somehow I keep phosphates at .08-.1 ppm.
    I stopped trying to understand it awhile ago.. :)

6. Yeah. I ordered a skimmer and some no3po4x but someone I talked to with a fair amount of experience said that when he left everything alone and only used a skimmer and filter pad, he had the most luck. He felt that the more he tried to do to get rid of it, the worse it got. I think I had the same experience with a nanocube before but I had back chambers with that. I don't really have that with this.

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Heart skipped a beat when I saw the 1st pic. Acrylic tanks need full structural support under the entire bottom of the tank, meaning, legs transferring load straight down or at least at an angle down, or a solid cantilever or some kind. Setting the tank on a biocube stand and allowing the ends to hang freely (or even on a thick sheet of plywood) is not a good idea, that creates a ton of stress points that acrylic tanks are not designed to handle (at least, most are not...)

8. Hey Bud. Thanks for your concern. It is a glass tank and it actually sits on a plastic platform that came with the tank. Even on a wider surface, the sides wouldn't be touching the table.

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ah...it sure looks like acrylic in that pic! Rimless glass are also supposed to be under full support + on a sheet of foam (a thin sheet of white compressible styro) but I think that is really more for preventing cracking out from a pressure point - I can't claim expertise on the need to provide full support across the entire bottom, but I'm pretty sure the logic is that a rimmed glass tank get support from the rim, and you do need to provide support on the 4 corners (6" in from all 4 corners if less than 120g or 4x2 footprint, larger than that requires full perimeter support) so logically without a rim, I believe you are still supposed to have full coverage underneath it. But I don't know what risk you're inserting into the equation by not having that on a rimless glass tank.

10. Yeah, it does seem a little risky to me. I notice on one of the corners that the side glass is slightly higher at the edge on top. It is even on the bottom though. Not sure if it came this way or developed.

11. @Kungpaoshizi@Kungpaoshizi I think it is the rock. I'm taking a chance but I took all the rock out and switched it for caribsea life rock. I also vacuumed the sand which brought out quite a bit of stuff. I'll hope it works. I tried the no3po4x but I had 0 nitrates and phosphates so I stopped using it.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Huh. Google photos won't embed.

13. It might be because they are https

14. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    So here is how your get Google Photos to embed:

1) go to the photo (via link, or in your album, etc)
    2) click/tap the photo to bring it into "full screen"
    3) right-click (long tap?) and select "Copy Image Location"
    4) come back here and click the photo icon on the toolbar, and paste in the link

Viola

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  15. [​IMG]

Great, thanks.