1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

HELP?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shari, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    After several post and several months, I am trying yet again to find someone to help me aquascape and stabilize my rock and to teach me to frag. I have reached the point of desperation and am willing to pay $100 toward time and gas to find someone that is experienced, knowledgable, and willing to provide me with some references. It’s not easy letting a stranger into my home or tank!! In return, I will also share the corals that we frag. I have orange rhodactis mushrooms, red, blue, and green mushrooms, kenya tree (like a weed!!), a few pale yellow polyps, and perhaps a couple zoas. Oh, and a mini carpet anemone or two. I have purchased egg crate to support the rock and keep the shrimp from tunneling, frag plugs, glue, and a frag rack and need to know what else to have on hand. One of my biggest concerns is not recognizing which part of the rock has the live, shrunken corals. Or squishing a fish or creature (I’ve done that before ☹ ). This is a 50 gallon cube. Photos attached. I am near Mason City, IA.

tank 3.9   1.jpeg

tank 3.9   2.jpeg

2. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Hi Sharon, I don’t mind helping out, but due to distance I wouldn’t be able to go to you. If you’d like, we can PM or maybe FaceTime or something. I don’t need/want anything in return.

3. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Shane, thank you for your generous offer. In all honesty, I really want someone that knows more than I do to help with the "artistry" and an eye on things to help. "Hold my hand" when I am in doubt. And, in order to go to more advanced corals, I am going to need to thin some of mine out! Again, thanks!

4. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    I could help via the ol interweb, you are pretty far out so youll probly need one of the desmoines guys to come over if you want someone to actually do the fragging.

its pretty easy to do, im sure you could do it, my 12 yo helps me frag stuff occasionally lol.
    from your list of supplies i see your missing a cutting device, could be actual frag cutters from a reef supply place, or bone cutters, tin snips work too (iprefer them as they seem to cut harder rock compared to the frag pliers).
    from the pic it looks like just a couple bigger pieces of rock so hammer and chisel/screwdriver would suffice but far from precise.

you will also want some gloves since youll be working with zoas and palys, some can release toxins that you dont want getting into a cut, eye, etc.
    and eye protection for the mushrooms, they like to squirt sometimes,

5. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Heres where id cut. Obviously that might not work out exactly, depending on whats on the backside and rock shape.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J710MN via App

6. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    The kenya tree you can just cut branches with a sharp pair of scissors. Then tie them to plugs/rocks with fishing line or thread.

7. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Youll moslikely need some more rock as from the looks of it that has alot on it and youll need new foundation for your aquascape once you frag stuff off.

8. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Wouldnt worry too much about squishing a fish, those that i c in pic are quik and will move out your way.

Put your eggrate down and stack the rock how you want it then place your corals

9. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    id come over and do it for ya for free and honestly sounds fun to me... but your way far from cr (at least with my gas guzzlin truck) lol

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  10. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
    Same. I’m willing to walk her through each step via FaceTime or Skype.

Though if you read within the quote of her reply she wants someone physically there.

11. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Yeah just offer up tips since nobody has said they would go over

12. ShaneP Well Known Hawkfish

Williamsburg, IA
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0 / -0
  13. camshaft

camshaft

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ?

14. tje22 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Greene county
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Ahh...too far for me too

15. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your advice and support. Remember, your 12 year old has YOU to show him!! I'm a beginner, too! :) . I appreciate your list of supplies needed and the precautions. I also learned a while back that the carpet anenomes can sting!! Gloves for them, too! And, I need a home for some of these guys! I would really like some space to learn some new corals and still keep some of my existing! Again, thanks!!!

16. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    Sorry just tryin to help

17. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    and, you DID...thank you. I ordered some tools. Think my husband has nitrate gloves by the boxful in his shop (they ok?) and thin latex. Wouldn't have thought of safety goggles, either. Glasses (regular eyewear) good enough? Again, thank you!

18. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Safety goggles are best. Make sure the gloves are Not lined with powder;) Have you watched videos Shari? There are many good videos on utube, online retailers, etc.

What shrimp do you have that are tunneling? Is something making the rockscape move?

If you really would like someone to come in and work with you, have you considered hiring someone who possibly frags and does rockscaping that works at a local fish store? Maybe a student who is in the area that has experience.

19. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think the videos and good people like yourself are going to have to be what I do. I would love to hire someone from a fish or coral reef store, but the closest are Minneapolis and Des Moines (I'm 1/2 way between). There was a marine biologist with a fish store about 40 miles away and he had agreed to help, but closed his store and became too busy before he could.
    I have a snapping shrimp and he has evidently tunneled extensively. thus, I've purchased the egg crate for when I move the rock. Things are starting to "settle" badly. I've been unable to find anyone locally who is "into" the reef hobby. And, I used to own a pet store and sell the product :( .
    Thank you SOOO much for your input!

20. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And, we get to Iowa City several times a year, but ya can't just bring a tank with ya!! I am anxious to learn And, would pay your gas?