1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help with sick Kole Tang

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steady7, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Was wondering if anyone here could help me out with correctly identifying and treating my sick Kole Tang. About a week ago he started looking pale, saw his fins weren't looking right. Figured I would wait it out as I thought he may have just been stressed. Today he has what appears to be mucus coming off him. From reading on the internet it may be Crypto? What do you guys think? Also what should I treat him with? Do a methylene blue freshwater dip? I do have a 20l I will be setting up after work and putting him in. I also have picked up a bottle of Mardel Quick Cure. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well he didn't make it through the night. Live and learn I suppose.

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  3. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ended up pulling the three other fish in the tank and did a freshwater dip as the good folks down at Aquatics and Exotics suggested. I did put in a little Quick Cure this time around just for safe measures. I'll then transfer them to another fresh 20L and keep doing that for a few weeks until th life cycle is over. My Flame Angel isn't happy but the Clowns seem just fine

Attached Files:

4. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Sorry to hear about the kole.
    A good resource is Reef2Reef's "Fish Disease Treatment & Diagnosis" forum.

5. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    Thank you, I'll have to remember that for next time. I spent a good deal of time looking stuff up on the internet and as with most things overwhelmed myself with everything out there.

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Your welcome. Sorry I wasn't on earlier. It's good to find out as your remaining fish have been exposed. Good luck. Hope you have no more deaths!

7. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I lost my Flame Angle sometime last night/this AM. I noticed his fins looked like they were being nipped at last night and thought it was maybe just the Clowns getting at him. When I found him today his fins appeared to have disappeared more. Weird since none of the other fish seem to have this issue, fin rot, one clown is getting worse now. I just did another freshwater dip with Quick Cure. I'll swap them to a fresh 20L tomorrow. I've kept fish, fresh and salt, for probably 20 years and have never had to battle anything more then the occasional ich. Pretty frustrating.

Attached Files:

8. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    After more research and checking out reef2reef I believe I may have flukes, the Flame Angel had what appeared to be fine rot. I'll start treating for that.

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I hope you have identified what killed your 2 fish. That is half the battle. The other half is perfectly treating it. If it is flukes, hopefully you will be treating all your fish as it sounds like they are killing your fish very quickly. Good luck!

10. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    I have been trying to treat all the fish with no luck. Just transferred the last remaining fish to a fresh 20L after a 10min freshwater dip with Seachem Focus and tried to mix Seachem Neoplex in with some frozen food to help treat an internal infection as well. This has been a battle for sure.

11. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Have you identified the problem?

12. Steady7 New User

Cedar Falls IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Not really, I did treat the last remaining clown with both the seachem meds listed above and by the next day all the white spots he had were gone and he is doing fine now, still in isolation. Id say they had an internal parasite possibly.

Keeping the main tank empty for about six weeks or I will drain it and start over. In the main tank my clean up crew, snails, crabs and coral banded seem to be doing fine, so that kinda stumps me even more. My pod population seems to be exploding as well without fish in the tank!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Happy to hear the clown appears to be doing better! Going fallow is a great decision!

14. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    You may be dealing with velvet and fin rot as an unfortunate side effect. Just remember that velvet shows up fast and kills quickly, but when the spots disappear that doesn't mean you are winning right away. You'll want to try to get some better pictures if you see it again to make sure you are fighting the right battle. I'll personally never not quarantine/treat fish before going in my displays due to experience with velvet.