1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Help with biocube.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pauls biocube, Mar 13, 2016.

1. image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here are water parameters and a pic of the tank.

Calcium tested at 400.
    I don't have other test kits currently, but do have a magnesium kit on the way from fostersmith.
    Temp stays at 79 constantly
    LEDs stay on at all times
    Actinic and 10,000k stay on 10-7 everyday on timer

I can't seem to be able to keep some corals alive, namely the one I want to have in my setup the most...a nice hammer/frogspawn.

I could really use some help as to why

Stock 36w actinic and 10,000k daylight and 3 LEDs.

Bio balls (and I recently added fluval biomax on top of the bio balls) in the back chamber, biocube Carbon filter in first chamber and a biocube protein skimmer that I can't seem to get working.

I've had the setup a little over 3 years and there was a period (a little over a year ago) of about 2 months it sat idle while I was between moves...that period hurt everything in the tank and I've been fighting to get it back to normal since.

Any good advice for next steps to take would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    How many different hammers or frogspawns have you tried? It always seems in my tank once one head goes the colony usually follows.

From the pictures it looks like you have measurable ammonia. Is that the case? Ammonia is going to be really bad, but I would think it would be effecting your fish and anemone if it was elevated.

3. I've tried putting a hammer or frogspawn in there 3 different times and all three didn't make it.

Are there other crucial test kits I should look into getting that would cause a hammer or frogspawn to die off?....as I said, I do have a magnesium test kit on the way (and some magnesium to dose, if needed)

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I'd add alk to your test kits. If that is way out of whack I could see if causing problems. But if you aren't dosing and do normal water changes I couldn't see it getting that far off in the first place.

Mine grow like weeds even when nothing else will it seems.

5. Isn't alkalinity the same as ph? (Rookie question that would love elaboration)

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    nope, I think they may have an effect on each other but they are completely different

7. Is there a good way to get rid of the ammonia by adding something specific to the ecosystem?

8. It looks like the Fluval Biomax things I put on top of the bio balls are working because I did tests again today and ammonia, Nitrate and nitrites all tested 0! I've also gotten my PH up to 8.2.

According to the Manual for the test kit, carbonate hardness is the same as alkalinity. That one tested on the high end today and has gone up the last couple times I've checked. It's up to 12dKH (214.8 ppm kh)...I screwed up and added a teaspoon of Kent Pro Buffer DKH yesterday so that may be why it's tested so high.

I have some phosphate sponge eliminating the minimal amount of phosphates that are in the water, too.

9. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    A couple questions

Are you using RODI water?
    How much and how often do you change water?
    What do you mean LEDS stay on all the time?

Honestly I think you are wasting time testing for elements. You have almost no hard corals in your system. Basic water changes should be able to replenish any of those that you may need.

Seachem makes some good products that I like for biocubes

Phosban & cuprisorb both come in bags you can just drop in the back and change once a month. Would help a alot

10. Until 2 months ago, I was buying 5g boxes of "real ocean water" from petco to do bi-weekly changes...but when I moved to CF a year and a half ago, the tank sat idle (just timers for lights and my brother feeding the fish) and I lost a lot and the tank got out of balance....There isn't a local fish store for saltwater in CF/Waterloo..since then, I've been buying culligan rodi uv sterilized water and mixing with reef crystals.

Last night, I received a RO buddy that I ordered from fostersmith and a magnesium testing kit as well as the big box of reef crystals and I'm gonna order the di attachment to get delivered next week...but I still have 10 gallons of rodi uv sterilized to do another water change before it arrives.

The biocube has 3 blue LEDs that stay on all the time. Should I change that? The 10,000k and actinic are on a timer for 1030-730, I believe.

Interesting on the phosban and cuprisorb suggestions. Maybe I'll order them when I order the di attachment for the RO buddy.

11. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I just wanted to make sure you didnt have bright lights on all the time. A few lunar lights is fine.

Another question, do you use a refractometer to measure your salinity? I have seen the hydrometers be very far off right out of the box.

The soft corals you have look really good, and I dont see a ton of algae.

What is your flow? I know the Euphyllia corals like a gentler flow since they are so fleshy.

12. yeah, I recently stopped trusting that salinity tester that suction cups to the tank and got a refractometer
    And it reads 1.026 (just checked)...the other POS reads 1.022-1.023.

The flow I have is stock. The 3rd chamber jet and a power head on the left side facing right. The power head on the left has also had a red algae grow on the top of it the last week or so. Bright red.

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think it looks pretty good IMO.

Maybe try another hard coral and see what happens.

You may want to grab the clubs par meter and check the light level as well.

14. Clubs par meter?

15. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    each area has a par meter to measure light. @ruggerkc@ruggerkc should know who has it.

16. I did just replace the actinic bulb a couple weeks ago because it has gone very dim. I hadn't replaced it till after I lost my last hammer.

I'll try to post some new pics of the tank later today, but it seems like everything is doing well in there now.

I'll contact him to see if I can use the par meter. I appreciate that tip.

17. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Yes carbonate hardness is your alk test.
    High alk and especially big swings in the alk levels can definitely piss off and kill corals. In that small of a system it's not going to take a lot to make a pretty drastic change in Alk levels.

18. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Adding on to blackx-runner's comments about the smaller system. Do you have an auto top off system? When water evaporates in those small systems the salinity fluctuates a lot and that causes corals discomfort. I think in those small systems an ATO is a must have tool to help keep the tank parameters stable.

19. The biocube is an enclosed system with a hood that keeps it all in. As long as all the chamber doors are closed, I don't have a big problem with evaporation.

If I upgrade the lighting and do away with the hood, I will definitely add a auto off system.

20. A few questions (sorry for my rookie level of knowledge)

image.jpeg

Do you guys clean out your power heads?
    Is the red algae on the top of the power head a good or bad thing?