1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Advice? Help ID this stuff growing in my tank!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Otis, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    white slimy stuff growing on top of my rocks. No clue what it is. Blows off the rocks fairly easily.

Only change recently was a depressed dkh which got down to 7.0.

Attached Files:

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    How are your phosphates?

3. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    They are pretty low. Checked often with a hannah checker. .03-.07 max.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    white slimy stuff could be some type of bacterial bloom?? I'm not really sure.

5. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I can't tell from the pic but could it be dinoflagellates?

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Tell us more about your tank - age, size, filtration, livestock, etc...could be one of many things

Or if you're figured it out, let us know :)

7. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Any Chance your dosing with a denatured alcohol? Air freshners? Any aerosol sprays? Anything other than raw organic ethanol in spirits (vodka, moonshine)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    People do that?

9. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Eesh I wouldn't think so. I would have expected a total loss from the poisons added into denatured alcohol. Which doesn't seem to be the case with the nem and stylophora peaking into the picture.

10. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Bacteria would break the methanol down. I was just suspecting as it's a bacteria bloom I've never seen per chance it was an odd source feeding it.
    I have a source to get ethanol free but it's denatured so I turned it down.

On a different note, dose half cup per 150 gallons water of over the counter strength hydrogen peroxide. Dose for 3 days and see if it hits it. If it does continue dosing for 2 months. Special notes. This prevents algae growth so you will build up nutrients and will need to do 20% a week to keep from building up in water column. It will miss off starfish, urchins, anemones, and similar inverts for about an hour after dosing. To minimize this add half to disk away from direct hit with those guys and other half down overflow.

11. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Still here.. have done several water changes sucking it out. Don't dose anything other than cal, alk and mag. Run a small amount of gfo and carbon.

Blues come on at 930am and go off at 10pm. whites are on for about 7 hours between there.

Tried looking up what it might be and couldn't find anything that looks similar. Only growing where light directly hits. Just turned the lights back a couple hours to see if that helps.

Possible my tank is stripped of nutrients?

12. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Tank is just over a year old. Have 3 clowns, two yellow tangs, hippo tang, goby, 5 damsels. Tank is a 210. sump is a 125 gallon i converted. I set the baffles up to run the water level pretty high. Im guessing the sump holds 85-95 gallons at least while running. Run a reef octopus sro3000 skimmer. Run GFO and carbon. I also run filter socks that are changed frequently.

13. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I agree with blackx-runner that it could be a bacterial bloom however I wouldn't think it would last this long unless it was continually being fed(dosing something). I've not ever had a lot of luck with a black out but you could sure try a 3-5 day black out to see if that knocked it down since you say it is only in the light.

14. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    What about any treatments lately? You may not dose anything regularly but by chance did you treat your tank with anything prior to this occurrence?

15. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Does it come right off the rock when you suction it out or does it seem as though it's attached to some degree(growing)? You say you have done some water changes. Pretty significant? If it were my tank I would do some major ones. Like 50-60% to see if I could shock it out of there.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  16. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    have not dosed anything that i can remember. I havent had any measurable nitrates and I have added a SMALL amount of sodium nitrate. (still reading less than 5ppm) I use API for nitrates which im sure is not that accurate.

17. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Sucks it right off. You can still touch the rock though and it does feel slimy still.

18. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Is it on other things in the tank as well and not just the live rock? Such as pumps, sides of the glass, any kind of equipment, etc?

19. Otis

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    growing some on the return nozzle and the cord for the powerhead.

20. Bboge13 Pico Reef Keeper

Center Point, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Maybe give a UV Sterilizer a shot. I would be interested to see if it is in fact a bacterial bloom as they can usually be spotted by a cloudiness suspended in your water column.