1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Hello, for like the 3rd time

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by acidlittle, Nov 6, 2017.

1. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hey all,

Recently moved to Beaverdale area and whenever I move I move a giant tub that has all the old dry rock from my 75 and 24 reefs. I also moved, this time, a 40gal breeder. So the wheels are a-spinning in my head.

So, with limited resources/funds/time, I think I will try and get my 40breeder set up. So I will be blowing you guys and gals up for some advice.

I want to drill the tank, build a sump, build a stand, and get LED lighting for it for sure. So I will probably be asking about best bang for the buck LED fixtures that'd fit over a 40br well.

This will also be a slow build, and my first attempt and pretty much ANY kind of woodworking, so any helpful tips would be much appreciated!

2. Honestly you are better of finding a deal on craigslist, someone selling a full setup is best or you can piece one together. I got a 100 with stand canopy sump and all the plumbing for $130 only thing I had to get was a light, return pump and a skimmer. A couple trades later I got a skimmer heater and a return pump got a light off Craigslist. Total money spent was $170

3. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well my big issue with that is lack of truck to move a larger unit. And the lack of 40 breeder stuff out there, if I could find a stand for cheap/delivered for it with some other goodies I'd be more than happy to bundle up...just doesn't seem too likely that I'll find what I want.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Welcome back! 40B is a nice size but if you're looking for a setup, keep an eye on the buy/sell/trade section, eventually you'll find a deal and might be able to round up some help moving it if needed.

coming to Fall Fest?

5. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm really not looking for a setup, looking to build my own to how I want it. I don't think I'll make it to Fall Fest as I'm still working on the house getting it cleaned up/fixed up/ liveable!

6. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Playing with some rockwork, how do y'all like it?

Attached Files:

7. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
  8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I like that type of arrangement, I'm a fan of the Golden Ratio style, or anything that is relatively close to that. It looks a lot more pleasing to me vs the "random piles of rocks" style :roflmao:

9. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am unfamiliar with the Golden Ratio Style you speak of, can you learn me on it?

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  11. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Super awesome information there! Much appreciated, the problem is remembering how I put the pieces together to get that shape again, when I actually put water in the tank.
    I definitely dig the feedback!

12. If you ever need help moving anything I have a beater truck we can haul things around in. Get with me and I can help out on a weekend!

13. acidlittle

Beaverdale
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Much appreciated, shoulda hit you up when I was gutting the carpet out of the house and all the shrubs/small trees out of my backyard!!! Stupid City of Des Moines not letting you burn!