1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Gyre problem with shaft and motor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Armydog, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So one of my gyre 150s was not working properly so I decided it was time again to clean them all plus switch them all out to the ruggedized propellers.

Well the one that wasnt working properly looked damaged and Im wondering if this is a problem for the gyres.

I contacted gyre sent them the pics and proof of purchase. They are sending out a new motor and shaft to replace these ones shipped free.

These may cost more but you cant beat the customer service and warranty. Ive had to deal with jebao before and it was like pulling teeth with no results except one time that I had to also pay shipping from china for the part.

20160607_154218.jpg

20160607_154222.jpg

20160607_154239.jpg

2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Magnet seal failure of some kind...not really a Gyre-specific issue, I've seen any magnetically drive pump blow up like this. Mine always looks good when I tear it apart to clean it.

Did you ever take it out of the tank and let it sit and dry out for any length of time?

3. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Only when I was cleaning them. This is definitely the first time I've seen it like this. The other 2 are fine.

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Maxspect will take care of you. When I got one of the first ones from BRS the controller kept erroring out. They sent a new controller as well as a replacement bushing as they had already improved those.

When they came out with the larger motor mounts that did better for sound isolation and also gave the cord on the back a bit more room so it didn't kink and crack, I got those. A few months later (actually outside the warranty period, but it hadn't been in use for 12 months yet) the cord cracked and they sent me (no charge) a new motor AND a new controller which I really didn't need, but hey, free controller.

5. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Oh I know they have sent me new motors, new magnets, then they accidentally sent me 3 new controllers when I ordered the ruggedized propellers lol and sent me the correct thing and told me to keep the controllers.

Excellent customer service for sure
    --- Auto-Merged, Jun 7, 2016 ---
    The new motors that they sent were for the same reason as yours

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Btw with the ruggedized propellers I had to turn down the flow in my 220g that has only one gyre in it for flow because of how much more it pushed out. Took care of the flow in the middle also. Way better with those propellers

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Yeah, my Elephant Ear leather just gets ticked off when I go over 40% anyways

8. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I dont want anyone to get the wrong impression from the title of the thread. The gyre is an awesome pump and coralvue's customer service is amazing. It was more of a thread stating the problem and the help I received and that I know you wouldn't get the same service from buying a cheaper jebao pump. Ive definitely gotten my 100 extra worth of service from Coralvue.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    How many are you running on the 220? Do you just run the regular controllers on them?
    I am wanting a second one for my tank, but want a dual controller for them.

10. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Just one with the ruggedized propellers but on the 300 I plan to do 2 of them on opposite sides.

Very much looking forward to the dual controller. I talked with a coralvue rep and they said they anticipate it to come out around the holidays :/

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    The holidays as in? 4th of July would be great, maybe even labor day. I'm guessing that's not what they meant though.

12. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Yeah unfortunately I think they meant thanksgiving time frame