1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Gyre 150

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayt, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Who got one, what do you think of them?

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    They move water LOL.
    I don't know if I find it living up to all the hype that seemed to be around it when they were first introduced, but it's a good pump and provides good water movement throughout the tank.
    What size tank do you have? I have just one on my marineland 250 deep dimension, but I need a second one. Even with 2 I think I would want some other powerheads in there to get behind the rocks and hit some dead spots.

3. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm running a 7 foot 210, was thinking about swapping out the 3 jebaos I have for a gyre, do they have a night mode or are they fI'll power all the time?

4. Pufferman777

Pufferman777 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I have a gyre 150 on my 210 7ft tank. I'm thinking about adding a 2nd one on the other end of my peninsula tank

5. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Would I be better off getting 2 130s?

6. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    7ft 210 I think you would be better with 2 150s. If you plan on doing SPS corals and would need lots of flow I say go bigger as opposed to smaller. You can always run them at slower speeds. I don't remember if they have a night mode. I don't think they originally did, but I think they have a newer controller now that may have more options. I think there is also a way to run them off an APEX so that you can do different modes throughout the day. Not 100% sure on that though.

7. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
  8. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Over hyped in my honest opinion. They move a lot of water but control wise I am not impressed.

Keep your Jeabo power heads and run a 150 for good randomized chaotic flow.

My preference is ecotech power heads.

9. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Other reason I like the jebao is everything is in the tank and can hide the wires in the rock work. Don't have many hard corals at the moment, more into softies.

10. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have 1 for sale?

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    there were a couple for sale on here awhile ago. You'd have to probably dig back in the for sale section and see if they sold.

12. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Ran 2 150s in the 225. No complaints. Def quieter than the Jebao's I ran.

13. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I can't hear the jebaos unless I'm right at the tank. Am I just over concerned wanting a night mode so flow is less at night?

14. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Yes. Not really a need for one. Feed modes are good which the gyre has, but I don't think there is much purpose to a night mode.

15. I have one on a 6ft tank (225g). Now that said I have 4 Tunz 6200's and a Wavebox as well. I am clearly a big fan of the flow but I like that it provides a circular flow whereas my powerheads are a bit more of a linear flow. Then I add the oscillating wave motion and now you have straight line, circular, and wave all creating a truly random flow patterns.
    I would very much back the person who suggested getting it but keeping your jebao in to mix it up. Your call but I haven't quite got the guts to pull my other pumps and rely solely upon Gyre's for my very heavy SPS tank.
    A softy tank might like it more though......

16. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I don't have a bunch of coral yet. But im split 50/50 between sps and softies id guess. Still working with easy corals since I'm not home enough to maintain high end stuff.