1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Ghost overflow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by klmule, Feb 5, 2016.

1. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Is the ghost overflow by reef savey the best overflow on the market right now? Can you think of another that is comparable to it? I like the low profile design and the ease of taking it apart to clean. Anyone have another they would like to vouch for? This is going on a 210 glass tank. I like a slower turnover in my sump so a high flow rate isn't extremely necessary.

2. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I saw elite aquatics has one very similar and a bit cheaper. I have never used one but looks real nice.

3. gburkart

gburkart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  4. JDCpuWiz

Jesup, Ia
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I know the ghost is more expensive but the same place that builds those built my sump (synergy reef) Quality built stuff.

5. mxrcr

mxrcr

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I know one of the two does not use magnets. Better IMO to not have a chance of magnets corroding. Just my 2 cents.

6. jayt Well-Known ReefKeeper

Harpers Ferry, IA
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm running the h20 overflows on my 210

7. JDCpuWiz

Jesup, Ia
    Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Reef Savy doesn't use magnets any more not sure about the others.

8. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Everyone misses the fact that you must have the external overflow box on a rimmed tank standing off the back so that it can be flush with the trim on the back of the tank

This is very important for emergency operation: if the box is below the rim (ext box flush with tank so it butts up against the trim) then if a pipe clogs, the box fills up fast and can possibly overflow, as the tank water fills up the internal box above the lever of the external box. If you make the external box height the top of tank, this allows more time for emergency operation to occur

In reality there is a really low chance of this happening, but it's there. Especially a concern if you are running a very high flow through the overflow box. I can show you calculations that will show you just how much time it takes to fill up the external box in an emergency operation situation (full clog of siphon), the numbers seem scary (seconds) but as long as the pipes are set up right it's usually not an issue.

Taylor w/exotic marine exchanged a lot of messages on RC and R2R about this particular issue. I don't have time to build overflow boxes anymore, I just steer people his way

You can change the weir to strain just by adding gutter guard (which works extremely well)

10. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    i understand that,and i did talk a bit with Taylor @exotic marine and their standard size is 24".he would be willing to make me a custom one at 20" but it would have an additional charge for being custom.i cant afford a 300 overflow.i wish i could drive a lotus but have to drive a nissan lol.i have no plans on pushing 3000 gph thru my tank.but as with most things i have caviar taste and a rice budget.cheaper for me to just add an inch of acrylic to the external box on an ebay overflow.i wish i could spend the money on the best but i unfortunatly have to settle for only good.

11. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Well I can see where you're coming from @gburkart@gburkart. As to the OP @klmule@klmule if you don't need 3000 GPH turnover then the major benefit becomes failsafe operation, which is kind of less critical with lower flow I suppose. In that case the H2O overflow becomes a very nice option, it avoids using an HOB overflow and IMO is a better option than something like a glass-holes overflow

H2Overflow - Elegant Aquairum Overflow with Miniman Footprint

12. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    So I am pretty sure I am going with the one from exotic marine. I won't be running 3000gph but I like the slim design and I do like having the ability to run a higher flow rate if I ever decided to go that route.

13. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    ok so i decided to give in and spend the money and get one custom made by exotic marine as well.had to be custom because im setting up the 210 peninsula style.....hopefully more money means better lol

14. klmule Well-Known ReefKeeper

Belle Plaine
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    @gburkart@gburkart I bought one of the 210's from Bronson as well. Not setting mine up peninsula style but will be fun to watch the setup differences between 2 of the same tanks.

15. gburkart

Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    yeah.once i start to get everything i'll start a build thread.hopefully after having my 120 for 2 years i've learned a bit and can do this one up right.my build will take awhile as i've got to buy a few things and i'm really in no hurry lol