1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

GFO group Buy

Discussion in 'Quad Cities Area' started by mthomp, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With the high cost of reefing one idea we threw out yesterday at our monthly meeting was possibly going in on a 5gal bucket of gfo from BRS.
      Now this would need a good amount of people to go in on to make it worth it as the cost is $300 + shipping but seeing how this is something we all use, or should, having enough folks shouldn't be a issue.
    post here if there is any interest on this group buy

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how much is it per pound in bulk

3. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    since its coming in a 5gal bucket and priced as such the price will be $30 per half gallon. if you want to do that math go right ahead. otherwise you can order 1 pound container for around 20 bucks from brs

4. Bryan-1

Bryan-1 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    so mike is it $150 for the 5 gallon bucket? asking after reading first post where you say $300.

5. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    its 300 bucks for a 5gal bucket, my math is way off ill edit it.

6. RabbitReef

RabbitReef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Count me in. Gonna need for the restaurant and myself in the future. I'm planning to change my sump around alittle by adding brs reactor. By looking at a vendors that will show up for MACNA, and I noticed that I don't see Bulk Reef Supply listing. Are they going to be there? I am really pleased with their BRS reactor. Are there any better reactor out there that I should be looking it up?

7. kyro

kyro Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Exotic critter corner in maquoketa ia carries GFO and may order in a large 5gal bucket....might help on shipping

8. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    shipping would be free

9. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did some math on this today and it comes out to $15 a pound if that helps peak any interest

10. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0

This isn't nearly as good a discount as I would have expected for the 5 gallon bucket (I was contemplating getting in if it was a really good deal as I get to the quad cities frequently on business).
    I ordered a 4 lb container in April for $55.80 (I get the group buy discount) which works out to $13.95/lb and I would think the 5 gallon bucket would be much more discounted....?  Looks like I can get the 5 gallon bucket for $270 ($13.50/lb).  If any one who is ordering has participated in a group buy in the past you can get that price too.

11. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    then reason you payed 55.80 for the 4lb container because there was 3 ordered if there was 5 ordered you would of gotten it cheaper.
    That said, yes we could also forget the 5gal container and order separate smaller amounts and probably get it even cheaper. say 5 people order 4lb containers which is about 1 gallon, it would be $49.60 + shipping if under $175.
    So this may be an even better idea

12. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    You're right, buying the 5 4lb containers would be $22 cheaper than buying the 5 gallon bucket.  Doesn't make sense to me!

13. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    and it will be easier to to handle.

14. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well do to the lack of interest this wont be happening.