1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Fritz RPM Reef Salt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffmr4, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Has anyone used this salt? If so, what is your opinion of it? How does it compare to other salts you've used. Thanks.

2. sjones

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I was using brightwell reef salt before fritz. It takes more salt to get the salinity I want. I do think the ph is higher and haven't noticed alk or cal being any different.

3. Thanks.

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I used it for about 8 months and did not like the results. I know of many others with similar experience.

5. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I stopped using it. Alk was way too low .

6. Placid

Norwalk, IA
    Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0
    Aqua Forest. I'm very happy with it. Similar price to Fritz.

7. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I have heard this as well.
    I tried a few boxes, but by the time I switched to it my tank was already in a pretty big downhill slide. So I don't equate anything I saw with problems with the salt.

8. Thank you for the replies. Still not sure. I read that a lot of people really liked it. I also read a few places where there had been some bad batches. I like the levels they advertise if they are true and consistent.

9. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    I use it and see no issues at all with it. I also bought some of the live aquaria salt for which I believe fritz makes it for them.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I use Fritz and have had no issues. I buy it by the pallet. There was a bad batch but when it was discovered, Fritz took action to rectify.

@Dave@Dave , what did you experience?

@Pygmey@Pygmey, how low was the alk?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Alk would mix to 4 . I spoke to others on some Facebook forums that said the same.

12. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Potassium was also very low.

13. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U via App

14. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U via App

15. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Dig enough and you're find that there's seems to be a big divide when it comes to Fritz. I try to stay away from the argument myself, as I have no experience.

If you brought this issue up on XYZ big FB group, the topic would explode with both haters and fans of Fritz.

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    It happens with every salt IMO. If it hasn't yet with a salt, it will. Human and automation is not bulletproof.

17. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jeff if you want to try it out I have a couple of extra boxes of fritz rpm. Id let go of each box for $40 cuz I know they will not get used before they turn into bricks.

18. Roman Experienced Reefkeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +321 / 3 / -0
    Or if you would like Jeff we can split the box since you have a nano tank and Andrew I can always use the salt since I average around 30-40 gallons each time I water change. I haven’t had any issues with this salt.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  19. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's fine. Just tryna help!

20. Thanks for the offer Andrew. I usually order small quantities so I don't get the hardened salt problem. I just ordered a 14 lb. bag from saltwater aquarium for $30. On the note of helping, I have a bag of instant ocean if anyone wants it. It may be hardened and it is I think about the same size as the fritz.