1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Frag Dipping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shari, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am hoping to learn to frag in the next week or two. Is dipping important? What do most of you prefer. The more I read, the more I can see to pros and cons for each product. Thank you!

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Dipping is extremely important. Gets the hitch hikers off the coral to keep it out of your system. You don't want to do battle with some of the stuff that can come in on corals. Infest the tank and just make life miserable trying to treat it.

When I was getting coral I would use the bayer advanced. Cheap and effective. Here is a reef2reef thread on the bayer. Good read with lots of info on using that product specifically as a dip.
    Bayer insecticide as a coral dip

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the input. I've been reading all day. Coral RX, the Bayer, and the Iodine. This is for coral frags that I will be doing from my own tank. So, I want something more for the healing process of anew frag. I DO intend to do the pest when I get new corals from now on!!

4. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    For pests I use bayer or revive r coral rx.
    For freshly fragged or tissue damage I use lugols or iodine dip.

5. Shari

Clear Lake, IA
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    TY Jeremy

6. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    Np

7. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    What will you be fragging? I'm not 100% I'd dip your own frags at all after cutting. Does Lugol's potentially help prevent some kind of infection on a freshly cut frag? Maybe. As long as what you're fragging is healthy I'm not sure it's worth the extra step and possible risk.

In terms of dipping corals from an external source, absolutely dip them.

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I think both Lugol's and iodine would be more for the prevention of infection with the freshly cut piece. Most of my fragging was unintentional as I broke stuff while in the tank so I never worried about that type of dipping.
    I can't believe it would do any harm to take that extra step. I'm sure there are people who successfully frag quite a bit both with and without treating after.

9. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Tropic Marin PRO-CORAL CURE is my go to for dipping corals. It is iodine based. I have a pest free tank so it must not be doing too bad ;) It has lasted me for years.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Agreed with all of the above. Most important part with dipping is to follow the manufacturer's instructions! If in doubt, it is better to use less dip/less time as one can always dip later if problems arise. Fragging is stressful to all corals so that is a risk we all take with our beauties;) Softies are very hardy/survive problems pretty well;)