1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

FishBrain`s build thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FishBrain, Feb 20, 2010.

1. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0

A while back I decided to rebuild my tank for many reasons. the main ones being: to much rock(about 130lb in a 90gal), to many types of coral in one tank(I counted over 50 diff corals), invasive softies, red flatworms, unwanted fish that were impossable to catch, deep sand beed that had accumulated tons of crap over the years, I could go on forever but i'll spare you that.

so I decided to take a chunk of my taxes this year and go for it. I purchased lot's of new eqipment including: 2 SE lumenbright pendents, 1 250w galaxy balist, 1 lumatek 250/400 balist, via aqua titanium heater, octopus 200 skimmer, a new RR tank, and I got a sweet deal on two mp40s that are only 2 months old with a extra wet side, also a new olympus stylus 6000 digital camera so I could give you guys pleanty of eye candy to look at, also a new lap top. Anyway here are a few pics to start this off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wired up une of the lumenbrights to test it and man they are bright!
    [​IMG]
    also ordered a mess of plugs got to make back some of this green!
    [​IMG]
    I decided to leak test the tank and test out the mp40s at the same time. I filled the tank up to about 5in from the top and instaled the mp40s about 2in below the water and set them up in slave antisync mode ( this is the mode to make waves) and turned the master pump all the way up and and then started to mess with the pulse rate and lo and behold a wave started up. it was about 2in to start with but quickly grew to reach the rim of the tank which was 5in! so i freeked and pulled the plug before my floor got wet.
    [​IMG]
    bought this beast from waverz but still not sure if i want or need to use it. got the regulater off reef central.
    [​IMG]
    got these from a friend of mine cheap.
    [​IMG]
    now for some tank shots.
    [​IMG]
    I have had this stand and canopy for about 3 years now but the tank itself is new.
    you can see behind the tank there is a net with shells and stuff in it. the wife likes it got to keep the misses involved![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a few shots of the plumbing. i put threaded unions in key spots so it will all come apart. my wife says were moveing in the spring but she has said that the last two years but it never happens because she can't find a house she wants.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sump is a 40gal breeder and no skimmer yet it's on back order at aqua cave.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    heres where i mounted the heater controler. it's upside down because thats all the farther the cords would reach because I put the heater in the overflow area. i figure it will be more out of the way there and get plenty of flow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I decided to go with crushed coral insted of sand. For any noobs that might read this make sure you rinse crushed coral very well. a friend of mine set up a tank a few months ago and didn't rinse it at all and his tank crashed very quickly. This bucket is only about 1/5 full of crushed coral and you get around 6 or 7 buckets of this nasty stuff before it starts to clear out.
    [​IMG]
    here is some of the crap that came out off it.
    [​IMG]

we all live in a yellow submarine a yellow submarine. one of my sons bath toys was in the back of the tub ops. rince that off before the wife sees it.
    [​IMG]
    spilled a little putting it in the fuge area of the sump.
    well that's enough for tonight i'll put up some shots of the corals (there all in my frag system for now) tomorrow.
    well maybe one teaser for now.
    [​IMG]

2. Gered

Gered Experienced Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Looks good man! Nice to see a pile of goodies. Better keep up with the pictures or try a little better then someone else on the forum **cough cough AJ**

3. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    lol yea I plan on takeing a ton of pics.

4. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Looking good Bill! Thanks for doing a build thread!!

--AJ

5. Matt

Matt Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those heaters are really nice. I have on in my nano, and love it. Seems to be pretty spot on with temps. Looks good too!

6. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just so everyone knows I am the one who did not rinse my crushed coral before setting up my tank. I had algea so bad I was cleaning the glass three times a day just to see the furry rock. Many thanks for the thread Bill. Looking great so far. Shaun

7. Bela

Bela Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is that the same 90g you had before? Where is all your livestock hiding? Surely it didn't fit in your frag tank?

8. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Matt on 02/20/2010 11:19 PM
    Those heaters are really nice. I have on in my nano, and love it. Seems to be pretty spot on with temps. Looks good too!
    yea been wanting to try one for a while now.

9. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Shaun on 02/20/2010 11:20 PM
    Just so everyone knows I am the one who did not rinse my crushed coral before setting up my tank. I had algea so bad I was cleaning the glass three times a day just to see the furry rock. Many thanks for the thread Bill. Looking great so far. Shaun
    wow man wasn't going to put you on front street like that. but hay mad props on the honesty![​IMG]

10. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Posted By Bela on 02/21/2010 12:55 AM
    Is that the same 90g you had before? Where is all your livestock hiding? Surely it didn't fit in your frag tank?
    same stand and canopy new tank. frag tank is a 75gal with a 30 sump and a 20 fuge so it can hold alot. but i sold lots of stuff off the new tank is going to be 95% sps and about 5% lps. I'll post pics of the prop system tonight.

11. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Posted By AJ on 02/20/2010 10:59 PM
    Looking good Bill! Thanks for doing a build thread!!
    --AJ thanks AJ! Been planing on doing one for a while.

12. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yay, glad to see this thread up! Looks good, some nice stuff there /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif The 5" wave would have freaked me out too, lol!

13. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 02/21/2010 09:56 AM
    Yay, glad to see this thread up! Looks good, some nice stuff there /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif The 5" wave would have freaked me out too, lol!
    lol yea I was very excited to see the wave at first[​IMG] that quickly turned to shock as it grew[​IMG]
    here are a few coral shots. more to come later tonight.
    [​IMG]
    ORA cali tort the color is even more intence in person.
    [​IMG]
    tricolor mili
    [​IMG]
    purple bonzai don't think I spelled that right oh well.
    [​IMG]
    ORA tricolor valida this pic doesn't do the color justice at all. I'll try to get a better one later.
    [​IMG]
    hawkens blue frag I got from JB at the last swap.
    [​IMG]
    not to sure what this one is ORA of some sort again this pic is deff not doing it justice.
    [​IMG]
    here is a frag I got from phishcrazee.
    well that's all for now I'll get some more pics here in a little while and post more later tonight.

14. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0

A few more pics. I tryed to shoot a video of the frag set up but when i loded it up to my computer I don't know where it went[​IMG]
    I'll try again tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this one shows the color of the tricolor valida more accuratly
    [​IMG]
    with the flash on
    [​IMG]
    ORA joe the coral
    [​IMG]
    pokerstar monti
    [​IMG]
    ora green birdsnest
    sorry for the blurry pictures still figuring out the camera.

15. Shaun

Shaun Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those are sweet.

16. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Nice! Can't wait for my frag of valida to grow out as big as your colony!

17. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Posted By phishcrazee on 02/22/2010 09:29 AM
    Nice! Can't wait for my frag of valida to grow out as big as your colony!
    It grows fast if you keep it happy[​IMG]
    more pics
    [​IMG]
    neon green acro
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ORA marshell island fuzzy acro
    [​IMG]
    purple poccilopora
    [​IMG]
    reverse superman
    [​IMG]
    blasto
    [​IMG]
    tubs blues
    [​IMG]
    Armour of God
    [​IMG]
    not sure what these are. anyone know?

18. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    Been makeing some good progress. Lights are upand tank is 3/4 full also got the bottum level of rock in. I have some very nice bali rock to finish it off with but it is still cooking. I used all large peaces for the bottum that fit together nice and stirdy so no shifting rocks also kept it off the glass on all sides.
    [​IMG]
    Well you guys think there bright enough? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my ro unit is supose to be 50gal a day but only makes about 12. it is hooked up to cold water split the line with the washer. I need to split the hot side to so I can rn some warmer water into it then it should pick up the pace a bit. but for now it sucks. should have it filled up enough tomorrow to play with the mp40s some more[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am more concerned with stability than looks with the rock work at this point. the other rock I will be adding later will make it look nicer besides once it is covered in sps it wont mater what the rocks look like.

19. AJ

AJ Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will have lots of extra 3/8" acrylic if you need it. I ordered 24 feet and I bet I don't even use 12. Let me know if you need some.

--AJ

20. phishcrazee Experienced Reefkeeper

Riverside
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Were you going to cover the back or paint it to hide the wires etc? Looks like you're really coming along nicely with it /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif