1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

first salt

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryan H, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Ryan H

Luzerne
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey so I have a friend that gifted me a 60 tall tank n stand from petsmart. i know the glass is too small to drill. How do I convert it to salt the easiest?

Thanks in advance

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Pretty easy! Just clean it out and fill it with salt water!

Do you have any filters, pumps, lights, etc? It's generally a good idea to avoid canister filters like Fluvals for salt tanks. Are you wanting to build an overflow?

For lights, you would just want to make sure you have the appropriate wattage and spectrum range for whatever you're keeping. Heaters are all the same.

3. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    If it does not have holes drilled already you will want to use an overflow box with a sump then placed below the tank usually in the stand. Typically you will want to use the largest sump you can fit into the stand. The overflow box will move water from the tank to the sump via a siphon. You do have to be careful with overflow boxes as they can clog or the siphon can break. This can put you at risk of your tank overflowing. Just do your research on them. I ran an overflow box for about 2 years and never had an issue. Let us know if you have further questions.

4. Ryan H

Luzerne
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The tank has Leds built into the glass top. it has a canister filter but don't know if it is for salt.

5. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Skip the canister filter, bad chemistry happens in them with salt water.

If you could snap some pics of the setup we could help with some more guidance. I'm thinking if the LEDs are integrated into the tank they might not be reef-compatible. Perhaps good for fish-only tanks.

6. Ryan H

Luzerne
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just wanted fish only. Do they make filters that hang over the tank for salt like they do Freshwater? it's one from Petsmart if I remember.

Attached Files:

7. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    Yep! Those are all universal for the most part. A HOB filter is good to go for what you want.

8. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Hang-on-back skimmers exist as well. In my mind this is more important than a HOB filter, but no reason you can't do both.

9. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Given that you have room under the 60 in the stand it may at least be worth your time to look into using a sump. This helps keep equipment out of your main tank and gives you more room then. It also would give you more water volume. More water volume is good because it will help with stability. It takes longer for water chemistry to change if you have more water. There are multiple ways you can go. Just do a little bit of research and/or ask a lot of questions. You will figure out what set up you like the best. This is a good place to ask questions.

10. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    ? not sure what you meant here, I have drilled some 10gal tanks to use in a nursery setup I put together.

11. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    tempered glass would be the only reason you couldn't drill the tank. Thin glass takes patience and care to drill, but very doable. 60 gallon tank really shouldn't be a pain to drill at all.