1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

??? February meeting

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by beckerj3, Feb 3, 2015.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

Hey Justin - any plans for a February meeting?? I'd like to get my calendar updated.

2. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So are we having a meeting?

3. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    Well what does everyone want to do let's post some ideas on here I would like to invade seascapes some time to show them that we do use there store and that we want to use there store

4. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Um... we can setup my new 240 lol

5. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Best way to upgrade to a bigger tank /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default//emoticons/wink.gif

6. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    I've updated the other thread with the suggestions for the year so far, but there are some nice blank spaces, so let me know what you're ideas are!

Qe could help Armydog, or we could watch him do all the work while we stand around and drink beer.

One thought I had, was we could always buy several pieces of live rock and have a discussion about hitchhikers and aquarium pests, then maybe raffle off the pieces of live rock in case anyone was interested in that as well.

So keep this thread alive and productive. You have to do both, not just one, I'm sorry.

7. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Any word yet on a meeting????? If not can someone just take the lead on this if the person in charge of setting this up is to busy? I know I'm new here and all but seems to me that this last minute planning does not work out so great when it comes to attendance. Many of us are busy, I get that. But planning further out then a few days or even a week, would give time for people to plan on being there. I would love to see a date and time a month in advance. That's just my opinion, but I don't think I'm alone here.

8. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Ill take the lead on it.... i have some colonies of zoas that i need to frag i have plenty of frag plugs ect i also have a coral saw... we can do a frag demo show the last weekend of February 28th let me know what yall think

9. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Not to derail the topic but yes I (assistant trustee) was alerted to the fact that there was nothing set up in February just recently. I've had a two days notice to try and pull something together. I've been trying to gain interest in what everyone wants to do. Many people have suggested several great ideas. Unfortunately, no two people have the same idea and if there isn't a lot of interest then people aren't going to want to show up. I'm sorry but it does take time to get something together. I know we don't have a date yet, but it's still the first week in February and it would probably work best near the end of the month to give people time.

If everyone is okay with a fragging demo that's great. I'll be happy to work with armydog to get something set up. See if the club can buy a frag and we all can frag it. It's worked great in the past for the large involvement.

So please be patient while we work through some things. I"ll get a vote up shortly with what people want to do so we can vote.

March is Spring Fest so we won't have anything that month and I'll work towards getting something together for April and will get that meeting posted far out in advance. I promise.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    No need to apologize Fence:0) I'm in favor of getting a trustee who is able to plan in advance and implement our meetings...hint, hint :0) Also, I don't think that you should worry about a February event Fence, especially the way this weather has been going:-/ Sometimes just an informational meeting where people bring their own questions, etc is a good meeting...just talking tanks:0)

As far as a fragging demo, I suggest a colony be purchased from Seascapes or another retailer, not a club member. I would "not" want to frag another member's colonies for a few reasons.... IMO.

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Buying from a retailer when it would be a colony fragged for free that makes no sense i wouldn't charge to frag it up... content removed

12. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

content removed

I believe our club should support their LFS, Sponsors', etc...........

13. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Now now, IF and that IF we do a fragging demo for the new people I would much rather have the club get a coral that everyone can have a piece of for attending. It makes it more involved. Now with that if some people have large colonies that they want to frag (like Jeanette) then I'm okay with that too. I just want it to be something where if you attend you're going to get something more than just watching me cut up my frags so I can then sell them to you.

Again, that's IF we do this fragging. Currently the pests/hitchhikers is winning out.

14. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0

I agree. Let's give Chris (fence) some time to get something organized - as well as the calendar. I think he has a good start and if we can get dates scheduled several weeks out for future meetings, that is best.

As for a fragging demo, I think it is good to do a combination of things. The purpose of the meeting is for people to see how to frag different corals, not as a 'selling' meeting. I remember once in the past that the club bought a large colony for about $100 and then fragged it into about 20 frags. We didn't give away the frags - but everyone that wanted one could buy one for $5. Its not a freebie, but the nominal cost is minimal. The region doesn't need to foot the entire expense - but maybe they could cover part of it.

Also, letting people bring a coral or two of their own that they want to see how to frag works good. That way there can be a variety of different types of corals being fragged - zoas, softies, mushrooms, LPS, and SPS. But its probably best that hose corals not be sold. Just my opinion.

15. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Everyone go vote on the poll if you haven't done so already!! Meeting date and time are posted there as well!

16. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0

No worries Chris, I wasn't doing anything but trying to help you out since you had this suddenly dropped in your lap:0) content removed. .... i have some colonies of zoas that i need to frag i have plenty of frag plugs ect i also have a coral saw... we can do a frag demo show the last weekend of February 28th let me know what yall think", no problem. content removed. We need hobbyists that support our club and region :0) Just like we need to support our club, fellow hobbyists, Sponsors, LFS.... :0) You are doing great Chris!! Thanks for stepping up to the challenge!

17. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

The content of this post has been removed

18. F.D. Reefer Well-Known ReefKeeper

Fort dodge
    Ratings:
    +98 / 1 / -0
    I thought deleting or removing posts was a no no?
    Has something changed?
    Just wondering

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

----

---

This thread has been locked. If you are viewing this thread in Tapatalk, do not post a reply, it will be deleted.