1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Fall fest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aussie, Jun 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Thread was lock by: Bud
Reason: Event Thread Posted
Lock date: 04:54 18-08-2017
  1. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    any news on fallfest

2. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Bump

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Nothing has been planned as of yet. Need to get a few people willing to plan it out and it could still happen. Just need the right people to step up and get the ball rolling on it.

4. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    what would it take? I would love to help.

5. I'm new here but where is this usually held?

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    The fests move around. For a while it was SF in DSM and FF moved around, we mixed that up more recently.

Last FF was members-only tanks, i.e. no commercial vendors, and then we had a Potluck and food contest you can see all those threads here - Events & Fests. Basically we were trying something new, a smaller more club-only event (still open to public) and low cost. Also Fall Fests historically are usually a bit lower turnout due to timing, school activities, etc - that's hobby-wide.

While there were a few bumps in the road with FF, overall the people who attended liked it and I think the sellers did as well.

But essentially to get it going, someone has to want to be the point person. We established roles for Social Media, Graphics, etc and there are a lot of people who are still here that have fest experience and can help lay out the road map for what needs to be done. It can be a lot of work, but if you have a plan and work it, and distribute the duties and just stay of top of things, anyone can do it. Updating the "fest guide" has perpetually been on my to-do list, but the old version is available if you are on the Committees group.

7. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    I think the thing that people forget is right now yes you have a lot of kids activities, outdoor fun, vacations etc... But come fall fest time you will be getting back into your tank. So lets all jump in and help out here. October time frame? September? November? Vendors or hobbyist only? What would you like to see? Throw some ideas out here. Location? Should be convenient for as many people as possible. Williamsburg?

8. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    How about Davenport since there a few stores that way

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    QC is a possibility, the fact that there are 2 really good stores there I believe was a factor in the "buying activity" that (commercial) vendors saw (edit: at SF16), but when you're talking about only GIRS members having tables, a lower $ venue, more laid back, etc, that's a different story

One of my "overview" plans I had thrown out there over the past year or so was to basically have one bigger fest, and one smaller fest. Spring events have historically been a bit bigger, and I hear this a lot from the vendors as well. So it made sense for SF to be the "big" event.

Next was looking at locations and taking into account population centers and ease of access, etc. Long story short, my idea was to alternate SF between DSM and Iowa City/Coralville, staying very near a main interstate (I had a lot of feedback from vendors about this, more detail than I want to go into here, you know me, long winded)

Then for FF, rotate that around, make it a major yearly "swap" type event, but not really a full-on thing with a bunch of commercial vendors. Craig came up with the potluck/cookoff and that I think was a great idea. It required a lot less planning, was not expensive, good deals, etc.

....what it all comes down to is having someone willing to step up and be the point person. If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about what it would involve.

10. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    We are planning to pop some survey's up to ask where is the most convenient for getting the biggest turn out. What are some ideas that you would like to see? Remember we will be ramping up for the winter hibernation around then so people will really be back into their tanks!

11. aussie Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 1 / -0
    Davenport again or like 2015 in Cedar Rapids

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.