1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Facebook Club

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peter, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    There is a pretty active saltwater club on Facebook called Central Iowa Reef Society they do quite a bit of things just figured I'd share.

Here's the link to the group I believe you have to request to join

Happy Reefing

Peter

2. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    There's a decent amount of history with that group but discussing GIRS events on that page will get you booted. Just FYI :)

3. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ive been on there for awhile now. I saw a post where it said it would get deleted but then a post came later that said you can because they talked with the president of girs or something like that. Maybe @Pygmey@Pygmey can verify

4. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    just did a search on that page really fast found the posts. Doesn't say anything about being booted then the post says you can.

But either way I was just sharing that group on here figured it would be a good idea. Doesn't seem like there is any hard feelings after the second post

IMG_4231.PNG

5. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    We need members that want to promote the hobby and would welcome your membership. Please feel free to join GIRS.

6. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    What's the incentive to pay to be a member?
    No meetings, No frag shows (well maybe one), no activity on here, and in this post someone told a lie about another group that is free and they have meetings and contests monthly they also get discounts at stores.

So what would my incentive be to pay to join?

At least Central Iowa Reef Society does things. I'm a paid member on R2R they also have incentives and giveaways

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    While things overall haven't been very active with the club lately, this has not always been the case. Things tend to ebb and flow, and activity in both for the entire club as well as within each region is largely driven by those who step up to take the reigns and organize things.

Not that it matters for the "now", but there have been 2 frag shows a year as far back as I've been involved, at times there have been some regions with 5-10 meetings a year.

Will it ever get back to that level of activity? I believe it will.

As far as the incentive to join goes: some sponsors do offer GIRS discounts; each region has a PAR meter for member use; when there are fests and regional events, members get into these free; each region usually holds a Holiday party each year

Not trying to make any excuses or anything, just reflecting on it myself a bit. I appreciate your honesty and questions.

8. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I seem to have read this same quote from others in the club that show a leadership team tag. Shouldnt the leaders lead instead of waiting for some random person to take charge? Maybe the leaders need to step up?

I will gladly become a member when I see more activity.

Maybe y'all should consider teaming up with CIRS. Seems like the leaders there know what they are doing. Maybe bounce some ideas off of each other and join as one.

I assumed that's what was happening since one of the admins posted about girs and bringing it back to life. Maybe there is some people here holding grudges for no reason at least that's just an observation from what I have read in the forums and on their page.

I attached some screen shots of the post I saw on there. A simple search on the group you can find anything it's really quite easy.

IMG_4240.PNG

IMG_4241.PNG

9. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Most people are not going to touch this thread with a 10 foot pole because they don't want to stir up any more drama.

Regardless of what you have heard about me or anyone else being "butthurt" over what went on last year, if you haven't been involved in leadership within GIRS at some point in time over the last few years, it would be hard to understand and just seem like exactly that - hard feelings and butthurtness and whining and holding grudges.

Short story is that Donny got banned from here and I took a big step back from things (not only because of that) and a couple of others did as well. Before you make any judgements or assumptions about anyone on either side of that whole issue, I would suggest that you hear both sides. I'm more that happy to tell you my side in person or on the phone and you can make your own judgement as to whether or not I'm lying to you or skewing the situation at all.

I would rule out some sort of mending of the whole situation at some point in the future but AFAIK that is not being taken into consideration currently.

10. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    What lie would that be? I don't believe anyone has been dishonest.

11. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ive been told what has happened and what mistakes were made on Armydogs part. I also know the mistakes made on the leadership. Donny is an extremely helpful and nice person. Maybe his issue with certain people on here making excuses of why it's dying instead of taking the responsibility themselves. No need to share your part I read the post on here awhile back when you said you were emotionally distraught and crying and shaking. In my year of being on CIRS not once has any of that happened. So again I say maybe it was certain people on here that set him off... idk

Not sure what AFAIK is lol maybe an acronym for something I'm assuming

12. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You said they would ban you so a lie.

Anyways I was just sharing the group working together to better the hobby in the end is always best. With all of the activity on there I thought it would be good for girs to join with and or work together. Sorry I said anything seems like some are still holding a grudge over small stuff.

Thanks

Happy reefing

13. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    AFAIK = As Far As I Know

14. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ah geez that's obvious now lol I need to work on my acronyms

But thanks anyways all.
    Hope all works out

Happy reefing

15. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    LOL alrighty. Literally every one of this guy's posts on here has been to direct traffic to CIRS.

16. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Like I said haven't been active that much on here. Sorry to upset you. Was just sharing is all please don't get upset over something shared.

I'll leave now.

Happy reefing to all

17. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    It's not really that big of a deal - anyone who is a reefkeeper and also on Facebook undoubtedly knows about CIRS and the many other FB reefkeeping groups. It's not like it's some big secret. There has never been a fee to be a registered user here, so it's not like you have to leave or anything.

You voiced your opinion about how you see things - that's not a problem! I don't think it's falling on deaf ears. One thing I can tell you from being in leadership, the hobby, and in a hobby related business is that any feedback - of any sort - is valuable. Seriously, I'll ship out a few hundred algae scrubbers and I won't hear a thing from 95-99% of them, good or bad. Most won't post online either, the subset of people that actually post online (that includes both forums and social media in all forms) is actually pretty low IMO. Then when I do poke people for feedback, complaints, anything, usually it's "work great" or something really short like that...

I'll leave you with this thought: since all that stuff went down, everything has been pretty much drama free (here and on CIRS) so...honestly I'm not sure I would want to mess with that at this point. Like I said, maybe over time. I don't think either group is going away anytime soon, and I don't think either group is really "against" the other.

When it comes to promoting one group in another group - that tends to be frowned upon (in general, not specifically here). Some groups will explicitly forbid posting about or promoting another group. For instance, I secured the URL www.saltwaterscammers.org and then went on the Saltwater Scammers FB group and posted about it because I thought it would be useful to have a website that had some of the same info, like a possible "symbiotic" relationship...my post got deleted within minutes. When I asked why, I basically got chastised like I had broken some global rule (which, admittedly, it was walking the line, but it's not like the site was actually built or anything...it was just an FYI).

So while we don't technically have anything in the rules that explicitly states that you can't link to another group, where it starts to get kinda fuzzy IMO or In My Opinion :roflmao: is when you aren't on the forum for a couple of years, then post a bunch of times in multiple threads within a couple days, and literally every one of them appears to be an attempt to drive people to another group (for discussions, sales, products, sponsors, etc). That's where @DangerJ@DangerJ's comment came from. You were kinda being over the top about it, you gotta admit...

18. Peter

Peter

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Idk if you saw one of the screen shots but it said any and all events can be posted on that page. So it seems it's ok there. Hopefully it is here also.

Thanks

Happy Reefing

19. I'm pretty big into the saltwater hobby, well the fish hobby in general. When I first came across the GIRS page I was all about joining! I paid for the membership for a year along with my father. We both enjoy the hobby a lot and we enjoy GIRS, but I'm kind of with peter when he says there really is no incentive to join. You guys have 2 frag shows a year yes, one of them is usually a nice hike away so we typically only go to one of the frag shows a year. It cost what $10 to get in? It's $20 for a membership so if you don't go to both shows you really are not saving any money.

Edit: and this comes from someone who doesn't even have Facebook or associate with the other page. So can't say I'm biased.

20. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0