1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

News Evidence to support bacterial profiles are geography-based

Discussion in 'News, Events & Fests' started by Kungpaoshizi, May 20, 2016.

1. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    I know there's been discussion here and there about location and bacteria introduced into the tank, whether from air or a bottle. I know a few have speculated 'it doesn't matter, air moves all bacteria everywhere!' and I've been skeptic of this as every bacteria has mass, and the further you live from a tropical zone, the less you're going to have introduced into your tank, especially if the house is usually closed with the heater or AC on most of the time. This of course suggests that MB7 or zeo or whatever bacteria-in-a-bottle might be necessary for better diversification of bacterial populations to achieve optimal 'reef-like' environments.

Anyways, it's been debated, but I think this further suggests that based on geography, it will determine what "kind" of bacteria you'll have in your tank. (otherwise us in the Midwest would see more tropical bacterial infections ;) )

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...ch-city-has-its-own-microbe-signature-n558716