1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dosing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TwedtReefer, Mar 31, 2020.

1. TwedtReefer New User

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a Biocube 32 with an AI Prime HD. I am looking at finally getting some beginner corals. Do I need to does plus supplementally feed? Just don’t have a doser and needed some guidance. Thanks!

2. Fred

Johnston, IA
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    I’m no expert but I would say you don’t need a doser yet. Especially if your are doing “beginner corals” which usually are softies. Even if you get some lps or even some easy sps. It’ll take awhile for them to grow big enough to suck up much calcium and alk. And if you do eventually need to start dosing it’s should be small at first so I would just do by hand or use kalkwasser. But I personally believe water changes will be enough for the beginning. And obviously you should be testing so you know what’s going on in the tank.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Nicely put Fred.

4. TwedtReefer New User

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!

5. Kungpaoshizi Well-Known ReefKeeper

davenport
    Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    Ya, you'll be fine with water changes. It wouldn't hurt to have some calc/alk/mag on hand if it called for it, but until you start seeing those numbers take a dive, and your corals look ragged right before a water change, you don't need to dose.

It would however be a good time to cruise the ebay/craigslist/etc for bargins on dosers if you're planning on more down the road. I do find even if I don't have a lot of corals, they'll grow faster and stay alive easier if I have dosers setup. At the very least, an active alkalinity doser is real nice.