1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Does anyone else have a favorite coral they just can’t keep?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barrett, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    As the title says do you have a coral you would love to have in your tank, but every time you try it is dead it what seems like hours? I would love to have a torch coral, but everyone I have put in my tank shrinks up and dies within a few months. All my other euphyllia are doing great, splitting heads and growing like crazy but torches just hate my tank.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    For me, it is open brains. I have never ever been able to keep one alive, not sure why.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Interesting. I had similar situation. Hammer looking awesome and constantly growing heads. frogspawn was doing good as well. Torch just was kind of there never really looked happy. Polyps never really extending out. Can't remember what I changed, lighting or flow I think and the torch started looking much happier. Really extended out the polyps and had them flowing in the current. Thought I was on to something, but the thing never did pop any more heads.
    Now my tank maintenance has gone to hell and the torch is pissed off again.

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Similar to our situation - in our old tank we couldn't keep trachyphyllia's happy - they would look great for a few days and then be all shrunken and pi$$ed off. After a few months we gave them away and they looked fine in their new home. I firmly believe every tank has some coral(s) that won't thrive - there are so many environmental factors (lighting, water quality, flow) that we can't/don't measure or fully understand them all.

5. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Hard to believe there is any coral that wouldn’t do well in your tanks, they all look so amazing. Every coral I have ever gotten from you is doing great.

6. Green slimer idk why I've tried s couple different frags before lol