1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Food

Make your own fish/reef food!

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Turbo's Aquatics submitted a new resource:

DIY Food - Make your own fish/reef food!

Read more about this resource...

2. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Hey Turbo, I've been doing something similar to this at home on a smaller scale. There are a couple things I was doing slightly different I thought I'd throw out there in case it could help you. I start with a meat grinder with a course grind plate installed. this way I get the consistency I want with no guess work and can just freight train everything through it instead of chopping in batches. As for dealing with the nori, I've been using a pair of kitchen scissors and cutting it up then mixing it in with the rest of the mix. The last trick I found was when I fill my baggies I use a canning funnel, this keeps the zipper from getting any mix in it and eliminates having to clean it out.
    ...hope this helped in some way
    Bruce

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Canning funnel is a really good suggestion!

As far as the grinder goes, I tried this one and it was a total failure when it came to the squid and octopus, those were the main things I was trying to avoid having the cut by hand. You have to do it when they are hard-frozen and even then it just ended up wrapping around the rotor, and on the one I was using (albeit a cheap one) the thing just ended up slipping the gears, which were probably plastic.

We had discussed getting a heavy-duty KitchenAid grinder, but after the test grinder I did was a failure I never followed up on that

4. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I'm using a Kitchen Aid mixer with the grinder attachment that works fairly well, I hear the Chefs Choice brand attachment works better but you are right, anything like the squid/octopus skin or anything tough or stringy just tends to stop at the grind plate and not get cut up and pushed through. Works awesome for the shrimp and scallops. It pushes them through as fast as you can feed them in.
    I was in the kitchen trying to cut up nori with a knife on the cutting board when my wife came in gave me the scissors idea with a smartypants attitude. That did work well for me but I'm not doing a cement mixer load at a time either....I wonder if one of those one armed paper shears would work for that?

5. violet21chewy Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines area
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    when is the next diy?

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    Bump, made a few updates