1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

DIY Feeding Blocks for Parrotfish and Puffers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill Liebbe, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Bill Liebbe

LeClaire
    Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    Recently purchased a nice Princess Parrotfish. Absolutely a gorgeous fish but I was concerned that I may not have enough active algae growth on my rock to keep it well fed. So I did a little additional research and learned that public aquariums use plaster of paris blocks similar to weekend feeders for their parrot fish and puffers. Both need a hard surface to graze on to keep their teeth from overgrowing. Here is what I came up with

Plaster of paris

Spirulina powder

Nori crushed and flaked

Commercial marine fish pellets

Mix up the plaster of paris but a little wetter than directed (other ingredients will thicken it).

Gently fold in the other ingredients and pour in molds.

Molds can be ice cube trays, Styrofoam egg containers or whatever you like. I bought a container for craft items that has 2” X 1” compartments as I wanted bigger blocks. Will probably switch to the Styrofoam egg container as I had to wreck the box getting the blocks out.

After dried enough to remove from mold place in front of a fan or in my case I put them in my food dehydrator on low heat and completely dry. This can take several days depending on size.

Store in airtight container.

I put the first block and it has been very well received and lasted a little over a week. Now on block two, all the inhabitants take a peck or two at it but the parrot fish has been eating on it regularly throughout the day and looks fat and healthy. Puffer nibbles on it regularly too. Have not seen any negative effect on my water chemistry.

Just thought I would share

2. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    Interesting idea. Obviously you may want to continue to watch your calcium levels to see if they trend upward from longer-term use.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Pretty cool.