1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Dino Transfer Between Tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StormyMoe, Mar 6, 2017.

1. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to be blowing up the the forums lately, but I've been battling dinos for awhile and they got to a point where I couldn't do it anymore. Since everything was pretty much covered I decided it was the right time to sort of push restart and do things better than I did initially.

Over the weekend I picked up a 45g tank and transferred my livestock over from my 65 while I cure new rock, drill my DT, build a stand and sump, etc. etc. I obviously don't want to go through all of this work just to reintroduce dinos via the coral into my rebuilt tank. So finally to my question, because my corals had/have dinos on them, are they a loss or is there something I can do to save them? Same for the cuc. I've read of people doing dips in hydrogen peroxide or reducing salinity but are these very effective or would I be better off just starting over with the corals & cuc? I don't particularly like the answer, but I'm expecting it to be "yes of course" . The fish I think are fine, but please let me know if this isn't the case. Thanks in advance!

2. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
  3. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    While the dinos have been bad I've been thinking about doing this for a while now. I'm not at a point where I'm giving up on the hobby or anything like that, I still love it, just taking lessons learned over the last 8 months and applying them. The rock I put into the tank was dry and never cured and the lighting "fixture" I had set-up was terrible at best among other things. Plus I have met a lot of great people through this group who have given me a lot of advice and offers to help (drilling the tank in particular). And unfortunately the dinos have really done a number on the corals. My GSP isn't doing hot and some of the dinos got on a couple heads of the candy cane and killed some of the tissue even though I was removing it daily.

4. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Here are some pics of the corals.

Attached Files:

5. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    Did you try the vibrant stuff yet?

Also in my opinion, get the rock from seascapes that's wet fiji rock. It'll save you time on the curing stuff and allow you to get up and running sooner.

When I've replaced rock or tear downs due to algae issues, I scrap all the old rock and start with new rock. Obviously you do not want to reuse your sand bed. :)

6. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Peroxide. That's it, peroxide. 1/8 cup per 50 gallons. Run that daily for 3 weeks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I did not buy the Vibrant, was about ready to pull the trigger on it and decided to overhaul the tank instead. Seascapes will be my go to if I need more, but I bought 40lbs (they may have shipped me 45 based on package weight) from BRS that'll be here tomorrow along with some Seaklear Phosphate remover. The curing doesn't bother me too much because I've got a lot of stuff to do yet before I'm ready for it anyways and I've got the 45gal for something to look at in the meantime. Sand is already in the trash :)

Thanks! Have you ever done a peroxide dip? If I can minimize the chance of another outbreak and still keep the coral I have that would be ideal. If I do end up with another outbreak once I'm up and running I'll definitely be trying peroxide first.

8. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    What I did to beet the dinos in the summer was do a restart but kept everything in the same setup.
    I tried everything listed above besides vibrant to no avail.

First I drained and kept as much water as possible, this will come in handy later. I used 4 gallon buckets.
    Next take all coral off rocks and set rocks outside/tossed them.

I had 4 of those buckets filled with tank water with only one having all of the coral in it. Cut all excess off corals (plugs etc)

Scrub each coral one by one and as you do this put them in the second bucket. Do this again with the third bucket and until you get to the 4th bucket.

When they are in the 4th bucket I put a heater and a is tone and they lasted in there for a week while the tank and equipment was washed with straight peroxide and left out to dry for a few days.

When I was ready to fill the tank again I dipped all of the coral in a 50/50 dip water to peroxide for one minute each coral separately.

I have a fish only tank so I had plenty of media populating to not have to fully cycle the tank or cycle at all.

The only thing I lost was a mushroom I couldn't get off of a rock.

I moved the fish I to the first bucket then second bucket as I progressed through scrubbing all the coral.

The only thing I did wrong was add another sandbed, which is now gone. I say this because of my inconsistency with cleaning it and it causing problems when I do clean it.

9. Actuary Well-Known ReefKeeper

Adel, IA
    Ratings:
    +145 / 1 / -0
    There is also some evidence of defeating dinos with elevated Mg levels (like 1800-2000 ppm). Pretty sure BRS even contributed to a thread on reefcentral on the topic. I'd think it's worth a shot.

10. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the ideas on how to beat them, I'm going to be giving them a shot and see if I can save the corals.

11. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Don't dip in peroxide. Peroxide is highly unstable and very damaging to tissue. It is an unbalanced compound carrying an extra oxygen that is looking to grab any other molecule to balance with such as carbon in organic tissue. What happens when you add it to the tank is that it becomes very diluted and the light forces the O out and they pair as dioxide (O2) which raises the O2 content in the water which raises the pH. This in turn kills the dinos! Light swifly breaks H2O2 down into H2O and O2. If you dip the coral then, as mentioned before, the O gets to the carbon immediately and will literally dessintagrate the tissue. When you put peroxide on cuts you notice it will turn skin white. That's your skin oxidizing. It's no longer skin.. kind of like steel to rust...

12. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info! I haven't transferred the corals yet to have done a dip but I have been adding about 3/4 oz a day to the 45gal tank for the last couple of weeks. The dinos cleared up in just a couple of days and all of the corals have recovered and are doing great!

13. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Interesting. I bought some 7% hydrogen peroxide and got a couple drops on my fingers and noticed it would turn white right away. Can't imagine what the stronger stuff would do.