1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Dino’s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barrett, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I am currently fighting what I believe to be Dino’s. Stringy brown stuff that comes back pretty quickly after being blown off with a turkey baster. It is manly on the top of my aquascape. My plan of attack is to stop water changes and start running a diatom filter. I received the Marineland polishing filter I ordered in the mail today and now a just waiting for the diatomaceous earth I ordered to arrive. Any thoughts or opinions on my plan would be greatly appreciated and I would love to hear from anyone that has dealt with Dino’s before.

2F3D096A-80AE-4334-9B43-10B4E50CE34B.jpeg

2. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    What are your nutrient levels?

3. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    That’s what started my battle, a tank sitter overdosed my tank with no pox and drove my n03 and p04 to zero

4. Pygmey Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +119 / 1 / -0
    Ah ok. Do you have something to slowly raise them? Overfeed a but?

5. Barrett

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I have been and stoped doing my weekly water changes

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I have a bottle of Seachem Flourish Phosphorus and Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, if you want to try. I used it about 6 months ago when I had a similar problem in my frag tank. I had same issue with 0 for both nitrogen and phosphates. The directions definitely allow you to control increases in nitrogen and phosphates. Although it worked for me somewhat, no3 and po4 kept going to 0. My problem (IMO) was a rock I had moved from my DT to the Frag tank. I think it had too much bacteria in it and it kept sucking everything out of the water. As soon as I removed it, the dinos/cyano (not totally sure which I had), disappeared and I was able to keep No3 and Po4 in my tank.

7. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Jeanette kind of summed up what I have to say, but I'll give you my $0.02. My dino problem was starting to get nasty, so I started dosing Brightwell nitrogen, turned off my skimmer, and cut the duration I ran my fuge light. This, coupled with removing 80% of my sand bed seemed to work. However, it totally threw off my corals. I lost a lot of tissue on my montiporas and acros. Most have recovered, but some completely died. So I'd definitely recommend carefully artificially raising NO3 and PO4, but still run your skimmer. Maybe skim a little more dry. As for using a diatom filter, I have no experience. I'd think it would work though, as I can't imagine dinos would survive being run through it! Stir them up, suck em up, then let us know what happens!!

8. We have had this before in a past tank we had. It wasn't fun... we did the blackout method, covered the sides and top with cardboard and made the tank totally dark for like 2 to 3 days-a week, no lights, we peeked in from time to time to make sure everyone was still good, fed a small amount of flake. We won the battle but eventually tore that down anyway.