1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Solved Di resin user erro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chief Reef, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Recently I asked for help because my DI resin was exhausting after about 60 gallons of producing rodi water. I think we concluded that I needed to get a booster pump. I never got around to getting one.
    I solved the problem out of frustration. I was always only geting about 3/4 of the 1.25 lb bag from brs to fit into the cartridge but this time I shoved it in as much as I could until it was almost all in there. Just made about 35 gallons and it hasn't even hinted of turning orange. Thanks for the help and looking forward to continue being a paid member for many many years to come.

2. Hunter

Garner
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Glad you gotten figured out mate!

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Really? I wonder why that would make such a difference....?

4. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I can't remember where I saw it, but I recently either saw a video or read about how important it is to really spend time and compact the DI when refilling, even as your filling it to keep tapping it down. If I remember correctly it is to prevent water from channeling inside the cartridge which will prevent using all the DI.

5. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Yeah your right heart thats what happens it channels and wears out tour di faster i made that mistake the last time i refilled my di and only made 300 gallons but mine tumbled like gfo haha

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @hart@hart I read that too but I kind of thought that if it was loose enough to act like a fluidized bed reactor, that would prevent channeling, but I guess you would have to have too much flow which would reduce contact time

I guess I have a hard time understanding how channeling would use up all of the media faster, I can see how it would use up sections faster but that would leave other areas unused...but hey, logic doesn't always work!

I always pack my DI with a spoon and tamp it down but I've still never been able to get a full packet in one of those containers.

7. MadManMadrid Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +158 / 4 / -0
    Brs even said they pack extra in case of spills so all of it shouldn't fit in.

8. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I think the issue is that it doesn't use up all the media faster (the non-channeled parts), but it uses up sections of it so the output TDS rises. I would guess that you could try and removing all the wet DI and repacking it, but I think when TDS rises most people just replace it all for what a mess and pain it would be and with no promise of how much it would help and what areas are still good.

If that makes sense...

9. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Yes after much compressing I got most of it in the cartridge, some on my hands, and the rest was on and around the sink... I think I'm still getting some show up in my beard haha