1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Des Moines Glass Shops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hart, Feb 14, 2017.

1. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know good glass shops that might be willing to work on a tank? My Miracles 180 (ish) external overflow started leaking last night... fun night transferring discus to a Rubbermaid 150, thank goodess I had that.

I sent Derek at Miracles videos and he replied this morning and we chatted, he 1st wants to see if there are local shops that are willing to repair it, at Miracles expense and parts of course. Any ideas???

2. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I have had baffles cut for a sump at Harmon glass on the east side but tank repair seems like a whole different ball game.

3. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Good to know somewhere that will cut baffles even if they don't repair the tank! I will call them here in a bit, thanks for the lead!

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    @hart@hart were you able to figure out the cause? Did you have the acrylic insert in the overflow (if they sent you one)?

I have seen issues where the acrylic is cut to a very tight fit, and expands over time, putting pressure on the silicone seals and causing them to fail. Battlecorals on R2R had this precise thing happen on his Miracles tank. The one I got for Grove & Platt came with the insert but I tossed it (didn't want teeth) but it too was an extremely tight fit.

5. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, that is a good theory. I did use the black acrylic and when taking it out it was very hard to remove. I couldn't do it by hand, and I had noticed how much it bowed due to pressure.

Derek said they have changed the design and now put a support strip of glass across the length, although I couldn't tell over the phone exactly what he was describing.

The overflow itself is really solid so it is strange and that seems like it might be the case as I sure don't know what else would cause failure esp after only 11 months. I am curious what they will do as no glass place here wants to touch it.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    There's many ways to make a snap-over strainer that would not sit fully inside the overflow box. If they are still providing the tight-fitting acrylic insert, it sounds to me like they may not have realized the issue.

The acrylic is tight fitting to begin with. Acrylic doesn't expand much, but when it does, it's basically like a reversed clamp. All they had to do is take 1/8" off of it so that it doesn't make direct contact.

I can almost 100% guarantee you that the acrylic insert is the culprit here.

-A PERFECTLY SUCCESSFUL FAILURE-

7. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
  8. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I dont know exactly what they provide now, just they made changes and I didn't follow it all that well.

Edit: read Adam's post. Think that was the 1st bad review I have read of them and customer service.

9. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I do have that insert on the 120 too. Can anyone trim it for me? I don't have a table saw but figure should trim it and maybe sand down the edges where it slips in?

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I can run it through the router for you, or you can take ~80 grit sandpaper to it and take 1/8" off pretty quick. Best way for that is to double-stick-tape a sheet down to a piece of MDF or a table and grind away for a few minutes. Then switch to 100 for 30s then 150 for 30s and if you want it "smooth" looking, scrape with a razor blade.

Can also use a random orbital sander but that tends to be messy and get the acrylic too hot, and rip the snot out of the paper.

11. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Luckily the 120 insert lifted right out so I just took my belt sander and took off a bit on each edge and thickness and length as it wasn't too tight. Now has some wiggle room.

12. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Cool, as long as it's been underwater for a while, it's probably OK. An acrylic tank for instance will absorb water for about 16 weeks, and then it will stop. That's with full exposure. An overflow insert might take a bit longer

13. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Sweet, just some piece of mind.

Now back to the current crisis, haha.

14. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Just FYI, sounds like he will be flying out to personally fix the overflow mid March. Yay for not moving tanks!

15. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0
    That's good to hear. Where did you get your Discus from I just set up a 75 gallon I'm going to put a couple in

16. got2lb Well-Known ReefKeeper

Clarksville, IA
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that's pretty good customer service!

17. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    I have bought German stendker from discus hans and asians from Tony Tan via discus USA. The Tony Tan have been far superior in my experience. Some of the best fish I have ever had.

18. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That's awesome they stand behind the tanks like that. Higher price for higher quality and top notch customer service it sounds like.

19. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    He is flying out on March 22nd!

20. hart

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Just FYI he flew in yesterday and out today. Tank should be ready to fill in a week. Really nice guy, fun to hear about all the gigantic projects they work on like 12ft plus tanks that get moved in with a crane and people taking off the back of their house or 8ft deep aquariums in strip clubs! He did say it as the insert that expanded that caused the issue.