1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Help!! Des Moines / Ames

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by B_Braz, Nov 29, 2016.

1. B_Braz

B_Braz Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    it's that time off year again for all the damn slay bells and ho ho ho's. December is apon us and so now we should all pretend to love this holiday by having a get together and spending our precious days off work to see each other and pretend that the persons house we are at has a very nice tank. Even though they probably just did their 1st water change in months and only cleaned the glass cause we are all coming over.

Hahaha Just Kidding relax.
    It's CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I now get to wear these cool sweaters I have! OMG it's CHRISTMAS!!!!! You won't beleave how pumped up I am for this holiday season folks. So much im making snow in my back yard right now and have rented live rain deer for the whole month of December! I'm spending every waking moment December singing Xmas tunes like my life depends on it!!!! So what do you all say about having a holiday party where we can all eat to many cookies and go on an Egg Nog bender??? I'm thinking January just so we can keep the Xmas spirit rolling as long as possible! But let me know all my little elf buddies. On what works best for you, and then I will put up a Happy "North" Poll for everyone to vote. Happy Holidays fellow REEFERS!!!!!!

2. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    Sounds awesome B! Went last year, we all brought eats and beverage, had some little give-a-ways, and a really cool frag swap,...twas a cool yule time! was a great time to swap stories and put faces (and real names) with the names! Count me in, will be just the thing to get me off my bu!! and get me to renew my membership.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So is anything happening on this?????? Christmas was very busy, but things are starting to slow down - so I'm looking forward to a holiday party in January!!!!!

4. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    I will putting something together this next week then send out a few dates for a vote

5. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I hope I can come. It would be a welcomed event as I haven't had the chance to attend and participate much this year. Starting 2017 with a GIRS event would be awesome! Can we try to make it daylight hours? I've driven the car once 2 days ago...8 miles but that's a start!

6. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I haven't seen anything more on this. Did I miss something????

7. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I'm interested in this as well. How has it worked in the past? Just a get together for food, drinks and general conversation? If so do we just need to set a date and time?

Edit: just saw previous comment on last year's and it sounded a little more involved than just a get together. Either way though, I'm interested!

8. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    @B_Braz@B_Braz are you still running with this?

9. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    Yes I am working on dates now. I will post for Vote by the end of day.

10. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I'm clicking on the above however nothing is being displayed....

11. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    @B_Braz@B_Braz
    I've tried to call Brian today, but he doesn't answer. Its getting late. So, since we haven't seen anything further from him - I offer to help. @Region: Des Moines & Ames

I will still try to reach Brian, but in the meantime.......

I would suggest a Saturday afternoon - January 21st or January 28th.

Based on my schedule, we could have the Holiday party on Saturday afternoon, January 28th at my house. Next Saturday, January 21st works for me, but not at my house. I would gladly help someone else with the plans and arrangements - if they could host it at their house on January 21st.

So - no poll - but, please respond here if either January 21st or January 28th would work. And PLEASE post here if you could host it at your house on the 21st!!!!!

12. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
  13. Waterrat41 Addicted Reefer GIRS Member

Des moines
    Ratings:
    +147 / 1 / -0
    I'd prefer the 28th but would likely attend either of those dates.

14. Fence13 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +300 / 1 / -0
    28th > 21st

15. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I can make either work and can host on the 21st if need be.

16. StormyMoe

Waukee
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I can make either work.

17. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    I can on the 21st . I cannot attend on the 28th. Thanks Jeanette for stepping up and volunteering with this and, you also Dave!

18. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    I know it is a short notice everyone, but I would like to make a decision on this by the end of day - because if the decision is to do the 21st - that is this coming Saturday - and I need a few days to pull it together.

I'm thinking probably start around 12:30 - 1pm. Lunch..... We'll also do the frag swap thing where everyone that is interested brings a frag and then the 1st person picks, the 2nd person pics or steals ........ You get the idea.

Spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, significant other are welcome also.

Thoughts?????

19. B_Braz

Ratings:
    +106 / 1 / -0
    28th sounds great. I had a family day yesterday and made everyone turn their phones off. My kids, wife, and myself have had our noises stuck in our phones and I had to have a day no phones. Anyways thank you Jeanette for taking this on. I had hoped to have this planned already but wasn't sure what weekend yet would work. And I was planning on hosting it, would hate to have to cancel on everyone last minute. Like I said I think the the 28th would be best.

20. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Sorry for the delay....just getting on the site/going through emails. I would love to come on the 21st! 12:30 to1:00pm for a start time would work for me as well. I can bring a dish if needed. Just let me know! Thanks!!