1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cycling Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MantisLvr, May 24, 2016.

1. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have cycled many tanks over the past 17 years being in the hobby but this has me stumped a little. I am cycling a 29 gallon Q tank have been for 6 plus weeks. It is bare bottom with a emperor 280 for a filter no live rock artificial decor. I did the cocktail shrimp method and removed it once nitrite was present. The nitrites have been stuck at a really high level hard to tell with API kit know it was above 1ppm for sure for 3 weeks now. Have these little white dotted creatures all over glass don't know how they are alive. I have used two different test kits same results. Used aqua vitros seed for 4 days the seed didn't not change the level of nitrites. So Sunday did 50 percent water change and they really didn't drop but now today after another 50 percent change they are down to .50ppm. Really have not seen any algae either. Question is should I have been dumping food in after shrimp was removed? Is what I have done the right protocol? Do I need to be feeding right now and will the nitrites continue to go down or do I need to add a better bacteria? Thinking the cycle was stuck. Thanks for any advice.
    --- Auto-Merged, May 24, 2016, Original Post: May 24, 2016 ---
    Wouldn't let me edit again there is artificial decor.

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think the problem is you need to create an environment, and there is nothing there to do that.

If you dont want to keep live rock in there, that is fine. But I would find a really good piece that is full of life and add it for a couple of weeks. You can always remove it once its job is done. Besides bacteria you will get pods, ciliates and other micro organisms that will help your new tank go.

IMO, bacteria is just one small step, you need others to create a healthy ecosystem.

3. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Is there any other way? Will it finish cycling without doing your suggestion? I thought the purpose of the bio wheel was to grow bacteria to handle ammonia and nitrite. I don't want live rock or sand in case of having to treat fish that are in quarantine. That was the whole purpose of the set up. The tank will only be set up until I am done quarantining for my 40 breeder. Thanks.

4. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just assumed that once the shrimp produced ammonia and then nitrite was present that the wheel would be in the process of growing bacteria to cycle out the tank.

5. Fishunt Nano Nano

Norwalk
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I used those biowheel hob's on a couple previous tanks. Took FOREVER to establish proper bacterial load using just the wheels. I ended up using live rock to finish establishing bacterial load.
    How fast they are spinning will play a role in how fast bacteria will populate. From what I remember you want them to just barely spin, thereby keeping the wheel blades damp, not soaked.

6. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Would like to know if a tanks cycle can actually stall where water changes are required. Some of my first questions from first post haven't been answered. Anyone? Thanks.

7. jeremy Acro Addict

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    I don't know if it will stall, but you don't have enough surface area for bacteria to populate to process it.
    You may want a rock or sand or something to help out. Or you might be cycling along time.

8. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    You can add a few drops of vinegar every day possibly.

Many people leave a cartridge filter or similar in their reef sump, and then add to QT when they are ready to help aid in cycle.

9. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The bio wheel on the 29 has been on there for at least 6 weeks. My 40 breeder has 2 bio wheels no fish load yet. Been feeding it as if there were fish in there and it cycled a long time ago. Has 50 pounds of live rock. What do you think of this? Taking a wheel off the 40 and putting it on the 29. Putting the one from the 29 on the 40. Also did doing those two big water changes hurt anything?

10. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I set up a 50g QT 8-10 weeks ago. I had the same problem. Nitrites were off the charts, ammonia was fine. I ended up getting a good deal on some fish and got them even though the nitrites were high. Ended up doing 5-10% water changes every day for a week or 2 until the nitrites leveled off. Fish lived and are now in the display tank and happy.

I have only 1 PVC tube and 3 small chunks of rock in the QT, the rock is probably only 1 pound total. I have a HOB skimmer thats rated for 90 gallon tanks and a freshwater canister filter with ammonia remover pads and felt pads to help remove junk in the tank.

I recently got a ton of red algae on the bottom glass under where my light is in the tank (only have the light over 1/2 the tank). I think this is because I dont have enough bacteria in the tank. I'm just going to take a scrapper and clean the bottom glass and probably do a few 20% water changes to make everything happy again.

I'm still new to the QT tank world also, but it seems like keeping a QT tank is harder to keep up with than a display tank...

11. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Would like opinion on my last reply from anyone. Thanks.

12. Fishunt Nano Nano

Norwalk
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Swapping wheels shouldn't hurt anything, might help. Just make sure the wheel on the 29 is spinning as slow as you can make it go. Anything you can add to the QT from an established and cycled tank can help.
    I doubt you did any harm with the water changes.
    Every tank start up is different and it sounds like you may have found the black sheep.

13. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    It definitely takes longer for QT with no sand or live rock. I've seen a lot of people dump the display tank water into the QT with a dosing pump daily and then they dont have to worry about cycling the QT. That may be an option here for you. I've been contemplating doing this myself but I'll have to add another doser to move water out of the QT.

14. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies. Would like a few more replies to the idea of swapping wheels just to reassure myself. If I do so should I start feeding the tank since the wheel will be coming from an established tank or wait till nitrites are gone first?

15. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0

image.jpeg

This is a 60 gallon I set up and added fish to the same day. I used 30 gallons of waste water from a water change on my main display system and the other 30 I mixed up and added. I have a magnum 250 with a micron cartridge for filtering out large particle waste. I do a 10 gallon water change on it twice a week and have had no issues. The only testing I have done is to check my copper level and to check salinity.

16. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Being there is still .50ppm nitrite when moving wheel over should I add some live bacteria or will what's on the established wheel take care of it?

17. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    Did u start the tank with water from an established system?

18. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I would continue to do 10% water changes every other day to help it drop, but that's just what I like to do. Not sure if that's what other would do.

Sent from my iPhone via App

19. Derek

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Do you do anything special to keep algae out of your QT or does water movement and the magnum 250 keep it all out?

Sent from my iPhone via App

20. MantisLvr

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Started it with all brand new water. Just want to get it cycled it been 6 plus weeks. I know patience especially with this hobby lol!