1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Pics Cuttlefish!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boostedbolt, May 3, 2016.

1. hes finally big enough to get decent pictures of him when he's not switching colors on me!

He's 2 months old!

Attached Files:

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Congrats

3. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    This is the first I've heard of someone keeping one- won't they clean out your tank? What do you feed?

4. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,814 / 14 / -0
    I heard they only live 12 months?

5. FishBrain Expert Reefkeeper GIRS Member

New London
    Ratings:
    +396 / 6 / -0
    I have always wanted one. Very cool!

6. They do only live 12 months and only have a 40 percent chance on making it past the first 2 weeks. They starve very easy and only eat live food for the first couple months. They can and will clean out your tank.

First month and a half I had to order live mysis shrimp for him weekly. It was very exspensive. Now he eats ghost shrimp that I get from petsmart for 32 cents a piece so it's not so bad. He is housed with a pair of maroons and a green mandarin. He hasn't showed any aggression to anything other then the shrimp he eats and he does pick up hermits and try to eat them but eventually gives up and drops them lol.

7. As far as him eating my other fish. The clowns stay in the anemone but he has taken up camp right under it. My female maroon will take his shrimp if he isn't quick enough but she feeds it to the anemone so he just shoots out his feeder tentical and gets it right back.
    I'm not so worried about him eating the clowns as he will only get about 2 inches big. He is a dwarf cuttlefish. The mandarin later on down the road I might worry about.
    --- Auto-Merged, May 3, 2016, Original Post: May 3, 2016 ---
    Here's an action shot.

Attached Files:

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Very cool. Where did you get him from?

9. Bluezoo aquatics, I had almost thought they sent me an empty bag when i got him. He was only a day old and they come sooooo small. I'm talking size of my pinky nail small. That's why you are just now seeing pictures of him.

10. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is freakin sweet!! I've always wanted a ceph of some sort, be it an octopus or cuttlefish. Keep up this thread! I'm intrigued beyond belief

11. I have too but an octopus was out of the question the girlfriend is creeped out by them, so I ordered a "cuttlefish" told her I ordered a cuttlefish lol. She's likes him, they ink just like an octopus too. He has inked a couple times but it's not poisonous or anything.
    Also they do not try and escape like the octopus and they can be kept in groups as long as there is only 1 male.

Some cool facts they have 3 hearts, a ring shaped brain, and 8 tenticals just like an octopus he also has 2 extra long extending feeding tenticals. Not only can he change his color he also changes texture, as in he can make his body look spiky or smooth.

Attached Files:

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    It's like a game of spot the cuttlefish with those pictures.

13. My favorite is when he sits in my pulsating xyena, he puts his tenticals in the air and pulsates them. He also copy's my nassarius snails. He gets really low to the sand and sticks 1 tentical strait up in the air!

14. Him begging for more food even when he has a shrimp in his mouth still

Attached Files:

15. Cuttlefish and mandarin

Attached Files:

16. Deleted member 1172

Deleted member 1172 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That pic with the shrimp is pretty freakin' cute.... I feel like I'm describing a puppy lol

17. He does that when he's hungry he just gets as close to the glass as he can and drops his tenticals straight down and his eyes like that. His eyes are weird his pupils are actually W shaped. He's getting bigger by the day he is now as big as my female maroon. I feed him 3 times a day. Every post I have read says tank makes don't work unless it's another cuttle. Only one I worry about is my mandarin. The maroons stick to there nem.

18. Trying his best to mimic the new coral I picked up.

Attached Files:

19. Qtr

Marion
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely amazing animal!

20. He's about halfway through his life cycle, probably about 4 inches big. Big enough to eat other fish in the tank but he doesn't bother them. Only hermit. The mandrin actually shares the same corner of the tank has even taken shrimp that I dropped in there for the cuttlefish(yes mandrin eat live ghost shrimp if they are small ones, or at least mine does).