1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Tank Build! COVID Silver Lining

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nrenn, Apr 8, 2020.

1. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Been spending more time at home, and less money going out and doing things, so I managed to complete my living room 125g display! Happy to answer any questions

Display Tank:
    • 125g with dual overflows, set up BeAnAnimal style
    • Eshopps AR-300 sump with fuge
    • Reef Angel controller
      • acting buggy, waiting for my StevesLED HurricaneX light controller. Basically everything else these days comes with a built in controller, or I've installed switch/outlet duplexes for a few items, so I'm "downgrading" on the 1-does-it-all controller side of things)
    • Maxspect Jump DC 8K return pump
    • InkBird temp controller
    • (2) MP-10WQD
    • DIY MakersLED lighting
      • on pulley system for raising and lowering
      • 44% Royal Blue, 33% Cool White, 5% Red, 5% Green, 12% UV, moonlights. All on separate channels for color mixing
      • thermal switch to turn fans on/off (i hate when fans run 24/7)
    • Dedicated power circuit for the whole "fish room" and mixing station, basically all things fish
    • (3) server cabinet fans with speed control, and vent to keep the heat and humidity down behind the tank
    • Overhead shelving
    • Roll away drawers under tank for supplies, additives, etc
    • Hard plumbed water drain and fill lines to and from mixing station
    • The entire fish room and DT are almost free standing, if we sell the house, everything can be easily torn down and patch up the walls in a day

Mixing station:
    • 8 stage RO/DI (sediment, carbon, carbon, 75 gpd RO membrane, cation, anion, mixed bed, mixed bed)
    • 30 gal RO
    • 30 gal mixed
    • 40B QT tank
    • utility sink (DT and RO overflow drain into here also)
    • pump is on a 3-way switch: one switch at the mixing station, the other switch upstairs behind the DT
    • hard plumbed manifold to pump water from RO or mixed tanks into: mixed tank, utility sink, QT, or DT.

Still To-Do:
    • Skimmer or ATS
    • Dosing pumps
    • Upgrade (2) MP-10wES to MP-10WQD, for a total of (4)
    • Install new lighting controller
    • Add more outlet locations for better cord management
    • Tear down and sell 1 BioCube, convert the other into....seahorse tank, macroalgae DT?
    • Finish trim work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. Sweet!!!

3. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! I'm super happy with how clean the setup is, my cord management is better here than it was for the BioCubes ha ha. And water changes are as simple as opening a valve and flipping a switch, excited to take part in a tank tour once people are allowed to mingle again

4. Well you're going to enjoy having that fish room-- all sorts of space for expansion and new stuff! Plus its gotta be more quiet which is always nice. If you still have my number text me (or PM for it) and we can meet up and swap again some time.

5. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Well its not exactly a fish ROOM, more like a closet. But my wife is happy all the equipment is out of sight and the dining room is slowly turning back into usable space instead of a construction zone. The whole setup is almost dead quiet. The loudest thing is the light fixture fans, and that is only just loud enough you notice when they turn on or off. I do have your number still, I am waiting for a new light controller so I can get those tuned how I like, then will start adding corals.

6. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    looks awesome! love the ledge/shelf around the front

7. nrenn Well-Known ReefKeeper

Waverly, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! It was originally going to incorporate a horizontal tambour door (think roll top desk) so lighting wasn't a problem when we watch TV, but I finally ditched that idea in the interest of time and progress. Still happy with the results