1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Looking to Buy Copepods

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by beckerj3, Dec 1, 2016.

1. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Wanting to get some copepods to seed my cube tank for my new mandarin fish. Anywhere in the Des Moines area I can get live copepods???

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    find someone with cheato and grab a handful and shake it out. Should be a good amount of pods in there.

3. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Interesting idea. I know someone with lots of chaeto:)

4. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Want me to send some tomorrow? Or I can bring some when I pick up the PAR meter.

5. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    Tomorrow would be great - but do whichever works best for you. Thank you! :)

6. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Algae Barn is a great place to order pods and phyto, etc from. very reasonable prices. they ship/package really good. out of Colorado I think. good source of understanding what copepod is good for what fish, reproduction, etc.

7. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    So, I'm not sure how I do this. I got a bag of chaeto from Dave. I shook it - but only see a few pods. Also some of the algae shakes off with it - that I don't want to put in the tank. ??? I'm not sure I'm doing this right ???? @blackx-runner@blackx-runner - advice????

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You're probably not going to be getting hundreds or thousands of pods out of it as you would when you buy them. I was thinking you just wanted some to get a population started.
    If you need lots and lots of pods in a hurry you'll probably have to find someone that has a culture running, or order them.

9. beckerj3 Expert Reefkeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +610 / 2 / -0
    That's what I figured. I won the Reef Nutrition package at Fall fest - which included a bottle of tiggerpods. I put them in the cube, but don't know if any are alive or not.

I purchased a mandarin from LA about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Its been living in my QT. Not sure if its eating any of the frozen food and/or Reef nutrition products that I've been feeding it. I also have hatched some brine shrimp eggs. So I'd like to move it soon to the cube tank. Not sure if there is enough pods in there now, and/or what's best for the mandarin. He doesn't look like he's wasting away, but I'm not sure if I could really tell anyway if that was the case.