1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Co2 tank filling locations...

Discussion in 'Waterloo / Cedar Falls Area' started by Fultsreef, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I also posted this in the Des Moines area forum as I live about half way between Des Moines and the Waterloo area so please excuse my double posting as i am trying to find a couple locations near me to possibly accomplish what I am asking...I am doing research on calcium reactors and was curious if everyone on here that uses one does an exchange on their Co2 tanks or if they own their own and have them filled when empty. If you own your own tank where in the area do they fill personal tanks at? I am trying to figure out if it would make more sense for me to purchase my own tank or to do an exchange. So far I have purchased everything i need to get a calcium reactor up and going with the exception of a Co2 tank. Thank you in advance.

2. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know there is NO WHERE in the Waterloo area that will fill any cylinder that is privately owned.

Airgas and Superior Welding can supply you with tanks and gas but neither will fill a tank that is not owned by them as far as I know.

HTH

3. a12ptbk

a12ptbk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What about Dicks Sporting goods. They have a co2 filling station in back past the guns section for paintball stuff. I have never used it or inquired about it. You might give them a call and see.

4. moneypit

moneypit Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    As long as the Hydro and Visual are in date there shouldn't be no problem getting anything filled.

5. Waverz

Waverz Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Never been there. Ill call tomorrow and find out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  6. i have 1 20lb cylinder form airgas that i would part with /trade /sell in waterloo its one of the small purchase tanks, i will call anf get more info on it to verify it can be refilled

7. spoke with airgas in cedarfalls today and the cylinder i have cannot be filled with cot but they will exchange for a co2 cylinder and the cost of the co2 in the new cylinder.

he refrenced it as a 5lb cylinder and the fee was 21$ plus exchange of the cylinder.

and that would be able to exchange from any airgas in the state

the cylinders total height is less than 24"

8. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So far it looks to me like sporting goods stores that support the paintball hobby and home brewed beer supply stores will fill privately owned tanks. Welding supply stores prefer to do the exchange method with their own inspected tanks. So if i buy it looks like Scheel's and possibly Dicks sporting goods for this area.

9. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Out of curiosity i called Scheels today and spoke to them about filling Co2 tanks...they were in the process of moving to their new store location. The lady said they used to fill at the campus square location and imagine they still would . Their new location will open for business on saturday...which is the day i am coming over for a trip to AC&C. Since originally posting this I have aquired a tank from a co-worker who owned a welding shop...the tank is a 5# tank...never been filled...and was free...cant beat that...anyway I will be bringing it with me Saturday and will see what the new Scheels has to offer...i will let everyone know a price to fill if. Have success there for everyones future fyi. I probably wont need the Co2 or calcium reactor for awhile until my bio load increases but this has been bugging me for some time on where to get this accomplished so i might as well get it filled.

10. If its a welding cylinder. With a vaulve like similar to a propane grill tank they will not be able to fill it. They are able to fill the 8 12 and 20 oz co2 tanks for paintball and fillby weight. Just speaking from my paintball and welding expirences with my current co2 tank wjich is the same as the one u now have.

11. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well scratch that idea then...thanks for letting me know...another place i found was a place in des moines known as fessler carbonics...they specialize in filling Co2 tanks for those in the home brewed beer making hobby...also found a place in iowa city called iowa fire that helps home brewed beer enthusiasts fill their Co2 tanks...beer hobbyists also use 5# and larger tanks....i will call both places and see if a welding style tank with the propane style valve is something they can work with and how much it would cost to fill. The des moines location is more convenient for me but for the cedar falls waterloo eastern iowa area i will let everyone know what iowa fire says.

12. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh and thanks josh for letting me know that about scheels...saved me from walking in there with a empty tank and looking like a fool. Lol

13. Airgas is in cedarfalls and i think there open saturday and you should be able to swap out your tank for a filled one. There is no identifying marks on the 5lb cylinders and there a purchase tank. So theres no rental or paperwork.. if they give you any static i will come out with mine get it filled and swap you for yours and fill yours when i need it

14. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...i just found airgas in waterloo up by the river on west 4th...i was going to see about trying them out also.

15. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Where's the one airgas in cedar falls?

16. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Is it just south of super target, the new scheels, farm and fleet? Off of 58?

• Uh oh! Not good! Uh oh! Not good! x 1
    • List
  17. Its in the industrial park by new scheels if your getting off hwy 20 its on the left side of hwy58. Behing the new kwikstar. I would still call as i think they have weird hours saturdays. And glad to help

18. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you again...i will call in the morning toget saturday hours.

19. Fultsreef

Fultsreef Inactive User

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Called all of the above places that i mentioned and they were willing to fill the co2 tank for me but seemed a little put off in doing so. I did call fessler carbonics and the secretary gave me the days they filled co2 which is tuesday,wednesday and friday from 8am-2pm. She was very accommodating and said that as long as my tank was clean and date stamped that it would be filled and that it would only cost $14 for a 5# tank. So i think i've found my place? I do appreciate everyone's help though.