1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Clownfish Eggs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maureen, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_0246.JPG

I thought I would share a picture of the eggs my Clowfish laid. The silver dots are their eyes. My clownfish are from Kirklins Clownfish and I bought them at a Springfest many years ago. I have not seen them lay eggs before although I am sure they have been. I have a lot of rock in my tank so I always assumed they were laying where I could not see. This time they did it in plain view on the underside of a flare nozzle. I probably should have tried to raise them. Maybe another time since I am not prepared this time. The photo is taken under actiinics which is why it is so blue, it also highlights the eyes and makes them more visible. In the picture of the eggs that is closer up you can see two eyes on some of them that are facing the right angle.

2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Thanks for the share @Maureen@Maureen That is awesomeness!

3. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    SWEET!!! My clowns are just now starting to lay. They have laid twice so far. But I moved them this past weekend...we'll see how long it takes them to be comfortable enough to start laying again. At some point I'm going to attempt to raise them. I started feeding them the LRS fertility frenzy during the first batch and the second batch was twice the size.

4. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, maybe I should try some of the fertility frenzy. Mine have been eating GIRS food along with various other foods they will eat anything I feed them. I am sure diet makes a difference. You will have to let me know how yours are doing. I would like to raise some, at least once, just for the fun of it.

5. KirklinsClownfish Well-Known ReefKeeper

Robins Ia
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That is awesome. :)

6. LiLNicky Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa City
    Ratings:
    +197 / 4 / -0
    Will do and you the same. They say that you want to let the first 3-5 batches go because the eggs won't be healthy enough to make it. I'm in the same boat I have always wanted to try it atleast once to see if I could do it. I'm in clownfish breeding group on fb and I have a Forum saved...both have awesome info. There is also a must have book out there that might be slightly outdated but is a really good reference for tank setups/equipment/food cultures etc.

7. Maureen Experienced Reefkeeper

Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +329 / 0 / -0
    I sent request in to clownfish breeding USA and clownfish breeding global. Later I when I have time I will start checking out forums. It would be very cool to manage to save and raise some of the eggs instead of having them be clownfish food!