1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Cleaner Clams Group Buy

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by Bud, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

So at the DIY Food meeting today, I brought up a subject that was spawned by a conversation with Mitch of Booyah's Clowns. He is using Cleaner Clams on his systems, and on his frag/anemone tank, they cleaned up his tank so well that his anemones got choked off and slowly died, so he has to severely overfeed and still has no measurable N or P. This was done by getting a dozen clams from the supermarket (for less than $10) and putting them in a trough in his tank. He is now using these on his clownfish breeder tanks for the same purpose.

You can also buy them from saltwaterfish.com at 5 for $15 http://www.saltwaterfish.com/Cleaner-Clam--Group-of-5_p_5420.html and this is what I am suggesting we do, either that, or figure out where they buy them from and go direct to there.

I thnk it's worth a try.

I did a bunch of reading, positive and negative, and you can do so as well by just googling "Cleaner Clam" and start reading. Be warned, there is a lot of misinformation and unnecessary red-flag-waving (based on such misinformation). Most of the threads I found were quite old, strangely enough, but the longest threads (on SWF) were full of positive reviews and much good information.

These are essentially filter feeders. They are regular old boring clams, bivalves, mollusks, etc. The go by the names hard clam, quahog, northern quahog, little neck clam and cherrystone clam, etc. You can find these in grocery stores dirt cheap, on ice, they are alive, and you can acclimate them to your tank as described in many old threads in the interwebz. But I think one would be taking a slight risk in buying these, unless they were purged (look for some corn meal method of making them regurgitate or something) and quarantined or something like that.

Anyways, they do not consume inorganic nitrates and phosphates (which is what we test for), but rather remove particles (food, or organic N and P) from the water and incorporate into their tissues. So you could think of them like little natural skimmers with no bubbles, no light requirement, only a gentle water flow requirement.

Some people say that they work great, and you need roughly 1 for every 5 gallons of tank water, and others say you need much fewer than that depending on your system. If they don't have enough food, they die.

You can put them directly in your tank and they burrow in the sand bed, and you'll never see then unless they die, at which point they come to the surface and open up and become food.

It also sounds like you can put them in the sump but would have to check them now and then in case one dies - in which case it would release it's nutrients for tank inhabitants or the other clams to consume anyways.

Regardless, these would just be one additional component of filtration in the tank, not something to be relied on for primary filtration.

It should be mentioned that Mitch (Booyah) told me that Steve Tyree used clams as filtration before skimmers were used. So this is not some concept I just pulled out of nowhere and not some old fad, it does work.

If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll start making some inquiries.

2. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I used to use these clams from saltwater fish on small tanks. I never wanted to spend the money on a skimmer so I used them and they worked great!

I would love to try them again. On one tank I even forgot they were there until I tore it down after 8 years.

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0

Nice, and still alive after 8 years? Did you have hermits or other crabs?

4. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    I'm in for 7 sets of so 35 total might even go more if we get them at a better price

5. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Be interesting to see how it impacts calcium demand of a heavy sps tank.

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I don't think they affect calcium and alkalinity uptake like giant clams, because they are not photosynthetic. But I could be wrong. Supposedly, Tyree used them on heavily fed SPS tanks with great success. Mitch said he feeds a ton and can't get N and P readings at all.

7. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Count us in for 7 or so.

8. bladerunner Well-Known ReefKeeper

des moines
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    Before Everyone Starts Freaking Out And Ordering These.
    http://health.walmart.com/health-article/us/assets/food-guide/clams/~default
    You Can Get These Clams At Many Locations. Your Going To Say Its Not The Same, Except If You Look Up Recipes They Even Call Them Cleaner Clams Multiple Websites/Threads Back This Up.

9. Sponge Expert Reefkeeper Vendor

Marshalltown, IA
    Ratings:
    +233 / 1 / -0
    Hey Bud! Thanks for posting this! I'll do some reading and let you know :0) I have some questions like... what size are they, how big do they get, are they SW or FW clams, how deep of a sandbed do they need, natural predators, hitchikers & disease, do they move about the tank or should they be in a trough...you get the idea :0) I might want to try it in the 40B and frag tank :0)

10. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    So the clams you get here are likely raised for warmer temps, whereas the ones in the grocery stores may or may not have come from coldwater locations.​

Dunno about quality other than that​

11. bladerunner Well-Known ReefKeeper

des moines
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    You Write Alot And I'm A Lazy Reader. They Sound Like An Amazing Thing, But Everything You Read Is Either, they Are Amazing Or They Are The horrible.

12. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Photosynthetic or not if they grow and the shell is calcium then it's going to take it out of the water. Depending on growth rate and shell size it may not be significant. Just curious.

13. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    i want to order them before they go off sale. i'm in for $105 just need another $95 for free shipping who else is in?

14. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    They were still alive after 8 years! Threw them out of my college tank when I took it done for good!

I am in for some. Need to figure out how many though. Still not home for the day.

15. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    I'm in for 10 - $30.

16. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    I think that may be one of those indefinite sales. Prob not a huge rush.

17. daalbers

daalbers Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +24 / 3 / -0

I would like 10

18. ninjazx777 Experienced Reefkeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 1 / -0
    they are having another sale ontop of the already discounted price that ends tonight at midnight so im going to order after i get off work at 1130 let me know for sure if you want anything

19. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Ok so to recap, here would be the possible group buy if we were going to do this tonight as Matt is suggesting:

Chris C.: ?
    Matt/Ninja: 35 clams
    Dave: 10 clams
    Sponge: ?
    daalbers: 10 clams
    Me: 10 clams

So that's 65 for sure, that's 13 sets of 5, that puts the buy at $194.87, so I added one to put us over $200 and get free shipping

But then the 10% off code drops it back under, so I bumped it to 15 sets and we're right at $202.36, I'm guessing that a few others would take the extras.

Now the question is, who wants to be in charge of this? I'm kind of burnt out on the DIY food and scrubber backlog so Matt if you want to take the reigns that would be awesome.

Also remember that this place is in Florida I think, so the order might have to be placed by 10:59pm our time

20. Chris C. Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I could be in in for ten of them!