1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Clams in poor shape

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abower, Sep 1, 2015.

1. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Last night alliant energy had a planned power outage from 2a to 6a. Rather than hooking up the generator for a short outrage I set my alarm for every 30 minutes and agitated the tanks.

Everything in the tank is in perfect shape except for my two maxima clams. Both are gaping at the intake syphone and ones exhalent syphone is inverted. The one with the inverted exhalent syphone can see through its byssal opening from its inhalent syphone. The mantle is not firm to its shell and lacks form. Overall the tissue still looks healthy considering the previous descriptions.

Any insite or experience would help.

2. Ray/Jen_Reefin 2016 Vice President / 2015 Volunteer of the year.

Davenport, IA
    Ratings:
    +459 / 5 / -0
    Following/interested

3. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Pics?

4. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I'll get something after work.

5. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0

IMG_20150902_110456140.jpg

IMG_20150902_110438376.jpg

6. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    That doesn't look good. Maybe @Dave@Dave?

7. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Did you test the water after the outage? That seems like a really short time for a tank/stockto go south.

8. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    The tank didn't crash. Only the two clams. If half my fish bellyupped and sps browned up then I'd check my ammonia, But just clams. Makes me wonder if they are not ultrasensitive to O2

9. Dave Experienced Reefkeeper GIRS Member

Des Moines Area
    Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    Agree that it seems like a short time for the outage alone to cause the issue but clams can be persnickety. I dont have any additional insights than what @Zach@Zach said to test water to see if any parms are out of whack.

The 2nd one seems to be a goner but the first one looks hopeful. Good luck with it.

10. Zach Well-Known ReefKeeper

Coralville, Iowa
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The only thing I can think of is water stagnation causing a local buildup, but even natural convection of the water would help that. Plus if you were stirring the water... IDK man.. Just seems odd.

11. hart

hart Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    How long have you had them? My best guess is despite looking fine up until now they were not doing great and the outage was the final blow.

12. abower Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ryan, Ia
    Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    Had the gold/teal for 7 months. Black/blue for 2.

Update, Goldie is fully recovered, intake syphone is catseye'd and mantle is formed and fully extended.

Blackie is a gonner. Tissue started to dissentagrate and no stimulation response. I'm inclined to lean towards @hart@hart that blackie was never in solid shape. never locked his foot to a spot either