1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

News Can you get fish high on marijuana ?

Discussion in 'News, Events & Fests' started by Greater Iowa Reef Society, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Greater Iowa Reef Society Become a GIRS Member! GIRS Member

Iowa
    Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    Note: this is an automatic feed from the Advanced Aquarist blog at Advanced Aquarist. Content does not necessarily reflect the views of the Greater Iowa Reef Society and/or any of its Members.

Click through to see the images.

Scientists in Lebanon fed tilapia pellets laced with cannabis oil to see if cannabinoids would have a calming effect on fish. Their conclusion: Unlike other pets such as dogs and cats, fish feel no such high on THC. So all you stoners with fish tanks: you can stop trying to give your fish contact highs.

It wasn't that fish didn't show any effects to THC; they just weren't the desired or hypothesized effects. Quite the opposite, actually. Cannabis not only did not improve the fishes' immune response, but those fed cannabis-laced foods developed slightly higher metabolisms, which consequently reduced their growth rate.

This experiment wasn't really done to answer the late-night musings of reefers but rather to see if cannabis could relax aquacultured fish who are raised in cramped, hectic environments. The hope was to create healthier/happier fish, which could ultimately produce better yields. Sadly, the answer appears to be no.

The paper is published in the scientific journal, Aquaculture Research.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  2. Bud Loves Bacon Website Team Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member Vendor

West Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,818 / 14 / -0
    Note: Not the most appropriate article, but it is up on the Advanced Aquarist site, so unless anyone has an strenuous objection to it, I'll leave it up.

On a personal comment, it was my understanding that cannabis oil doesn't actually contain the level of THC to get you high in the first place. That's kind of the argument for using it in kids with seizure disorders and for cancer therapy/treatments, at least, that's what I thought. If I'm right, my response to this article is "well, duh"

3. mattman319 SoManyTanks

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0 / -0
    CBD not THC

4. Also some puffer fish do have cannabanoid receptors in the brain. So technically speaking puffer fish can get "stoned".Either way getting any kind of animal "stoned" is cruel and abusive. Poor things don't know what's going on.

5. DangerJ Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines, IA
    Ratings:
    +322 / 4 / -0
    However, the puffer fish's cousin, the toker fish....well that guy just sits around talking about the Phish concert he attended in 1992 over and over.

6. I was born in 92 lol