1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

calcium reactor help wanted

Discussion in 'Des Moines & Ames Region' started by Armydog, May 9, 2015.

1. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Ok so i have a calcium reactor watched the BRS video on how to set everything up and did so while watching it last night. Stabilized the ph to 6.8 wake up this morning and the ph was 7.6.... what am i doing wrong? Can someone maybe come check out my setup and help me out? Beginning to think i did it wrong :/

Thanks in advance

2. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    Are you talking the ph inside the reactor, or the effluent coming out? How are you controlling the CO2?

3. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Yes ph inside the reactor. I have a Milwaukee MC122 ph meter controlling the co2 with the Milwaukee regulator

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I would increase your bubble count very very slightly and monitor. Dont do anything for 24 hours after each adjustment

5. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Im at a complete loss with this doesnt seem to be working properly....... if anyone in the Des Moines area can come help me out and check to make sure i did it right that would be awesome

6. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Ill even give someone some frags for their help ;)

7. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I wonder if its the circulation pump...

Is it supposed to sound like air bubbles are going through it constantly @xroads@xroads ?

8. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    What are you using for a feed pump? What are you using to control the effluent output? If I remember right the circulation pump usually does make noise when the C02 bubbles run through the impeller.
    I had a hell of a time getting mine adjusted and stable at first. It didn't seem that I could get the pressure regulator to hold, and a steady bubble count through the stupid needle valve. I eventually bought an aquariumplants electronic regulator. That thing made life a ton easier and would remain rock solid even as the pressure in the bottle decreased. I had it hooked through the apex to monitor pH level and control if needed but it was stable enough the apex almost never had to kick it off.

I agree with making very small adjustments then waiting and monitoring for 24 hours to see the results.

9. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Feed pump is an aqualifter, i have the co2 at like 60 bubbles a minute. I have the Milwaukee regulator on there turns the co2 on and off as needed but has only been on cause i cant get the ph down below 7 unless i increase the bubble count to a ridiculous amount lol. I have valve one (drip into the tank) at 10 drips a minute (recommended by the brs video)

10. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

2015-05-09 15.32.33.jpg

2015-05-09 15.32.07.jpg

2015-05-09 15.31.14.jpg

11. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Sorry meant to say Milwaukee regulator and then the Milwaukee 122 ph meter to monitor and regulate the ph

12. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    10 drips a minute seems really low for the effluent. Mine was at a fast constant drip, just under the point of being a steady stream and I had my CO2 set to 1 bubble every 2 or 3 seconds. And this was in a big dual camber reef octo reactor. It really didn't take much of an increase in CO2 to see the pH drop in the chamber.
    I would double check your pH probe to make sure its not giving you a false reading. Also make sure you're not losing CO2 somewhere before going into the reactor.

13. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I am not an expert on the different kinds, so I will tell you how mine worked.

I had a feed pump, and recirculation pump. The water traveled through the reactor & came out in a steady stream. Then there was a recirculation pump that recirculated the water within the reactor.

My apex controlled my solenoid. When the ph got down to 6.4 (I think) it turned it off, when it got up to 6.8 it turned it on. So on the graph it was a continuous saw tooth pattern. The bubble count could be a little higher, because if the the ph got too low, the apex would turn it off.

Hope this helps

14. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0

Screenshot_2015-05-10-10-07-27.png

15. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I guess this is where im confused atif i have a steady stream of water going to the dt from the reactor how is that enough time for the ph to get down to 6.5 to break down the media in the reactor considering water being fed to the reactor is 8.3...

I am using a feed pump or micro pump am i reading the directions wrong?

I upped the bubble count exiting the reactor and opened the other valve very slightly that i thought was only to release excess co2 from the top.

16. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    It should take what seems like very little CO2 to lower the pH in these reactors. When I was tuning mine in I could increase the bubble count to about a bubble/sec maybe a little faster and watch the pH start dropping relatively quickly. Once I got close to target I would back it off and see how it stabilized.

I would set your effluent output first. Get it so it is a very fast drip. 1 drip/sec or so maybe even a little more. Then start adjusting the Co2 to hit your desired pH. Regulator pressure as well as the bubble count will effect it. If it seems like you really have to crank to bubble count up, you may try adding a little more pressure.
    I never was able to get anything that I would call stable with the standard regulator and needle valve. I fought it for weeks before i ditched it for the aquarium plants electronic regulator.

17. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Which regulator did you get im just going to buy one lol

18. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Ya a little out of my price range right now lol. But im thinking i already have an electronic regulator since i plug it in idk.

So i thought i had it.... i turned up the pressure from 15 to 20, turned the bubble count up coming out of the reactor, ph started going down.... woke up this morning the drip was decreased the bubble count for co2 was not where i set it at.... i think im about to give up on this and go back to dosing kalk..... i dont understand what im doing wrong or if i have a faulty regulator....

19. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    You probably have an electronic solenoid valve. It doesn't actually do anything more than an on/off. The needle valve and regulator pressure is what is controlling the amount of co2.
    The aquarium plants regulator is just a high speed electronic solenoid. Capable of switching fast enough to just meter a small amount of CO2.
    Sounds like you have the same struggle I had when I first started with the Ca reactor. Fighting the regulator and needle valve.