1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Buy/Sell/Trade Reminder

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade' started by JB, Jan 6, 2013.

1. JB Veteran Reefkeeper

Marion
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just want to remind everyone to review the Buy/Sell/Trade guidelines pinned at the top of this forum. Specifically the items related to selling on our site.

If you are a non-member and you only use this site to sell items, I would highly recommend that you become a member to help support the club. It's $20 per year which in this hobby is peanuts.

Please consider yourself warned: If you are not a GIRS club member and you repeatedly use this site to sell items without being involved in our community in any other way, you are risking having your B/S/T posting privileges removed.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter.

-JB

2. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Finally!

3. clown man Well-Known ReefKeeper

Iowa city,iowa
    Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -0
    I'm sorry to say this but I find this very stupid.....
    What's the point in me becoming a member if every time I get on here asking for a bit of help or something nobody will help so I'm really trying to figure out why everyone on here says we're here to help each other the only person I have ever had help me was kpotter and Travis G And pot-roast and those I thank but other than that I don't really see the point In Paying

So if someone will let me Know or tell me y I should pay I always got Craig's list

4. xroads Veteran Reefkeeper Vendor

La Porte City, IA
    Ratings:
    +1,014 / 6 / -0
    I think you would be better of at Craigslist, sounds like more your speed

5. Andy The Reef Guy

Andy The Reef Guy Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    craigs list does not have vendors and sponsors that pay for posting privileges, we do.This has been a long ongoing discussion in the BOD forums. We are asking people only to treat our club with respect and not treat it simply as a classifieds ad.

The benefit is tat here you have a targeted audience to pedal reef related wares to. I've sold on both craigslist and here and I've made A LOT more sales here than I ever did on Craigslist.

And yet, there were 3 members that helped you, despite your reluctance to join the club. Imagine who might chip in if you just paid your dues, came to some meets and took the time to meet some people.

6. Tholton33

Tholton33 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    by being a member it shows that you respect all the club has to offer. being a member lets me know that they help pay for the events all other members also enjoy. i will do whatever i can to help another member. you know why? i owe them thanks, thanks for being a member, thanks for paying your dues. thanks for being apart of a group i can call on when i need help. its called paying it forward. a once "famous" member once said "I wipe my *** with $20" I think most members will agree its the best well spent $20 in this hobby.

by paying your dues you are not paying for "help" you are helping pay for the site you already use for your buying/selling pleasure; for free. it also helps pay for the frag fests. it pays for the guest speakers to come and speak to us about our hobby.

7. sharkks

Palo
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My only concern, as a paid member, is I want as much access to items for sale as possible. Who is harmed if non-members are posting items for sale? I guess I am just wondering what problem we are trying to solve?

8. mthomp

mthomp Inactive User

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Abuse of our system. Many of us spend 100s of hours making this club work not to mention the money we spend. If a person cant find it in their self to spend $20 a year to help us out and show their support, what advantage does that serve?

Try selling something in your local paper and see how cheap that is. Sure their is craigs list but as Andy pointed out, here there is a targeted audience.

9. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Could not have said it better myself! And I'm highly neurotic, narcissistic and I talk ALOT! lol

10. erayk1 Well-Known ReefKeeper Board of Directors Leadership Team GIRS Member

Coralville, IA
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I applaud this decision after some serious thought and debate about it. I am much more likely to help a member first and foremost. If someone isn't a paying member, why would I cut them deals on stuff I'm selling, especially if they are just looking for cheap handouts? If I know someone is a member, or I have sold stuff to them before, I am going to much more generous. Try doing anything for less than $20, and it's good for a years worth of goodness!

11. Armydog

Armydog Expert Reefkeeper

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    So just a question if I become a paying member again is des moines area going to do more different types of meetings.... because when I was a member all we did was DIY food and a Christmas party.... 1 time each all the rest got canceled.... and looks to me so far this year they did a DIY food , Christmas party and a tank tour.... like I don't have a problem with paying at all I just would like there to be more different kind of meetings.. other then DIY food... maybe fragging and we could even do it at my house.... No I'm not trying to start anything it's just from what I saw as a member....

12. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure new meets will be in effect this year. There are a couple great new trustees in your area this year. I'm work hard to put together stuff fir area trustees to discuss and meet about including a trustee seminar for sometime this spring. There are a LOT of new ideas floating around.

13. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    Alright well I will give it another shot.... I just hope they don't all get canceled again and then never get done like with what happened before. Thanks

14. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We are always open to new ideas. I am looking to get more meetings planned out. So is the other trustee. We did actually do a fragging demo of sps, softies, and lps, but few seemed interested or showed up. I am hoping to do it again and get more people involved. If anyone has ideas, please share. /DesktopModules/ActiveForums/themes/_default/emoticons/smile.gif

15. Andy The Reef Guy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pete did you pm me your email yet?

You know the other thing is that if you're not happy with you area trustees consider trying to help and work with them. Or step up and take control of the chapter yourself. I knew our area was going to dry up if I didn't do anything so I got my friends engaged and latched on to the best people in the group, took the reins, and encouraged them to step up too. Coordinating and team building is very rewarding work!

16. violet21chewy Well-Known ReefKeeper

Des Moines area
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    This is a good reminder JB! I have alway been off and on this site and I let my membership expire. I met a lot of great people while in the club and received lots of good info when I've asked.

Membership renewed!

Su

17. Kpotter2 Expert Reefkeeper

North liberty, IA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

@sharkks,

I have the same concerns, this is just a warning to any non member that contunies to just sell things and not contribute to the club will be addressed. There are very few persons doing this and its why nothing has been said, but as a community we need to address it and make sure no one takes advantage of a good thing for everyone.

@clown man

Thanks If you and I have had our differences in the past, but I seen that you needed help. Many people would not have done that, but that;s the person I am. My wife hates it, but its the way i am. I have always said "If you can't get along with me its not my fault its yours". As soon as you get your router give me a text or call I will be more then happy to continue helping you. I would truly like to get to know you, because the last time we talk. This is before talking about the Apex it didn't go so well. Because you didn't know me. So I invite you to join the club along with any new non paid member. Come to one of our meetings and meet people then make your mind up. Please don't say you see no reason to pay for membership, because I think it was at least worth 20 for me to help you and still want to help you. right?

Too all members paid or non. I understand that you all don't have time to spend on here or with the club stuff going on and with work,school or just life is, but if your going to use the site be apart of the community and that's how you do your part. Pay 20 bucks!

Kyle Potter

IC/CR Area Trustee

18. Pete H.

Pete H. Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not yet. Lol. It is on its way now.

19. Armydog

Ratings:
    +738 / 8 / -0
    I refer everybody to girs that I sell zoas and other corals to every time