1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Buffing Glass?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buku, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I know quite a few people have buffed acrylic, just curious if anyone has buffed glass? Im picking up a 210 with a quite a few scratches in the front. Nothing looks too deep, but they are noticeable. Wondering if anyone can give some insight on how much work it is? Going off of videos online they make it seem pretty simple.

2. chromess 01

chromess 01

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Havent done it myself so I cant comment much. I have read a little in the past, it can be done if its minor. You just have to be careful and not get too crazy with it or you will end up with carnival glass.

3. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    That is what I have heard as well. There is a chance for distortion depending on how deep you need to polish.

4. D007 Well-Known ReefKeeper

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    I have tried it and the results aren't quite what you see on the web. Very light scratches yes, but anything other will still be there.
    I spent two weeks on mine and results were ehhh. Light stuff was a little better but there's no getting rid of medium to deep ones on glass.

Can only truly get rid of scratches on acrylic tanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 via App

5. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    These ones seemed really light. Wasnt sure if it was a venture I wanted to tackle or just sell it for a cheap. Thanks for the info.

6. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I heard buffing it out with cerium oxide works but it takes a while. I have some at my place I could bring over if you want to try?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 via App

7. Chief Reef Well-Known ReefKeeper GIRS Member

Cedar Rapids
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    But then I saw you are from Waucon so maybe not haha it's like 5 bucks on amazon

Sent from my SM-G935R4 via App

8. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Thanks for the offer, but I will probably just sell it and let the person who buys it do it. Thats what i was looking at online. It looked simple enough.