1. Do you have an old account but can't access it?

See Accessing your GIRS Account or Contact Us - We are here to help!

Advice? Brain coral bleached

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kalie, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to figure out why my brain coral is bleaching. I've moved it so it's more shaded, thinking maybe it was getting too much light (AI hydra lights), but it's getting even worse now. We've had it for at least 6 months, if not longer. It did good for a while, but about a month into having it, a small area started bleaching. Now it's spreading. I'm attaching the info on our parameters (salinity is 1.026 and temp doesn't go above 78.5)to see if anyone has any ideas. Our calcium is high right now, but normally it's nowhere that amount, normally 400-450. There's no other coral close to it that would be stinging it .
    Any other info needed to figure out the problem?

20171002_163137.jpg

Screenshot_20171002-162333.png

2. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    Looks more like the coral skeleton showing than a bleaching issue. How long has the tank been going? Looks like you have some cyano on the rock and sand. Is that getting on the coral at all? What are your phosphate readings?
    Has anything in the tank changed recently? Is that ammonia level something you normally see? If it doesn't drop off quickly I would say you're tank is seeing some kind of cycle. Nitrifying bacteria aren't quite doing their job. Judging by the cyano and ammonia readings I would say the tank is still in the maturing process.

3. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    We just brought our fish back into the tank after a 3 month fallow period. So it could be going through a mini cycle. But we had cyano growing even when there were no fish in there and the parameters were perfect.
    This specific tank has been set up since April, with water removed from our previous year old tank.
    I haven't checked phosphate recently, but will check again.
    The ammonia "spike" is new with the fish being put in, even staggering them out when putting them back in.

4. blackx-runner Administrator Website Team Leadership Team

Cedar Rapids, IA
    Ratings:
    +738 / 5 / -0
    I've never had much luck with that type of coral in general, so I can't offer too much advice for trying to rescue it. Hopefully someone will chime in with some tips to try and save it.
    Really the only thing I can offer would be to up the water changes, run some carbon and GFO to help clean up the water. Maybe try moving him around to a different spot in the tank to see if it gets to looking better. Just don't change too much all at once, you could cause more issues rushing into things.

5. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Just tested phosphates and they are at 0. We always have gfo and carbon running. I've even lowered the lights on the tank to prevent cyano growth, so not sure what else to do, other than siphon off cyano.
    Hopefully someone has some ideas on this coral. Or knows of someone it can go to a good home so it doesn't die completely

6. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with upping the water changes until you get the mini cycle / ammonia knocked back down. I've had similar issues with similar coral. My issue was that it wasn't getting enough light. I also have high powered LEDs so at first I too thought maybe it was getting too much light so I moved it to the shade. And just like you it got worse. Then for something totally unrelated I changed my lighting schedule up and upped the power of my LEDs. Right after doing this I noticed it seemed to react positively to the increase so I moved it out of the shade and a bit further up in the tank. It is in the process of recovering now. Turns out it needed more light. Seems like for me at least when the skeleton starts showing on a coral it's needing more light. This is not to be confused with bleaching though however. When a coral bleaches it still has it's tissue if you look closely it's just lost its color. If you look closely at your picture you can see it's showing its skeleton worse where it's getting less light. Hope it helps.

7. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Also supplemental feedings may help it recover a bit faster. Not sure what else you have going on in your tank but you may want to consider upping the intensity on your AIs.

8. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I will definitely move him out and up more and see if that helps. Not sure why I didn't think of that as something to try.
    And I'm willing to turn up my AIs but won't that make my cyano go even more crazy? We had this happen with our last tank too and ended up having to use chemiclean (I think was the name.)

9. Derek34

Manchester, IA
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it could pose a problem with the cyano. Are you able to increase your flow any in the area(s) with cyano? Another way of possibly looking at too is how long are your lights on for? Possibly increase your photo period. Longer photo period might help your coral and by not increasing intensity might not impact cyano. Kinda walking the fence here. I've used Ultra Life Red Slime Remover with fantastic results for getting rid of cyano for what it's worth.

10. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Is there anyone here that knows anything about these coral and would bring it back to life at their house? It still seems like it's getting worse and I don't want it to die out completely. Someone save it and make it beautiful in your tank!

11. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    Its either a Lobo or Trachy. They like lower flow and low-medium light.

Where are you located? Could throw it in one of my tanks, I've had good luck with them.

12. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm in Des Moines area. It looks like you're from far NE IA We don't ever go up that way unfortunately.

13. Buku Well-Known ReefKeeper

Ankeny, IA
    Ratings:
    +202 / 4 / -0
    I actually moved to Ankeny last week.

14. Kalie

Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well it's all yours if you know how to bring him back to life. Don't want it dieing and it be my fault. Send me a message and let me know when you'd like to get it.

15. I've had a Trachy for over 17 years, several lobos, a Scoly and a few others...looks like a Lobo to me and once they start to recede like it is, it can be tough to get them back. Sometimes, feeding tiny bits of silversides or Mysis shrimp can help, but it takes energy for the coral to send out feeders and you need the feeders out to grab the food.....are you seeing the sweepers out at all? I do regular water changes weekly and that keeps the trace elements up and in balance...I don't dose anything. I have mine about half way up directly under a 96W Power compact and 2-36" T-5's that are on a 30 gallon, so quite a bit of lighting, medium to lighter flow. The brains seem to be a bit fussy about lighting...I've never been a fan of LED's and just from my own experience with my personal tank and maintenance tanks, the LPS don't seem to be a big fan of them either....Euphyllia will do okay under them. I would do as others have said and change some water....how big is your tank? I would probably do 10% every other day for a week and see how things do. Don't syphon the sand because you need to get the bacteria colonizing it and get that ammonia down....the brain coral don't like ammonia or Nitrites. They don't seem to be so fussy about Nitrates.